John’s Thoughts and Photos—November #1

img_0106

The Vendee Globe started last week. For the next three months or so I will be following the race every day, as I did four years ago, and four years before that.

And this from a guy who has exactly zero interest in being a sports spectator…no, not even hockey, my adopted country’s favourite. As for baseball and cricket, they put me into a coma. Even watching “the beautiful game” is a total snore to me.

But there’s just something about the Vendee Globe that reels me in.

Maybe it’s because I think that completing a Vendee Globe, never mind winning it, is the toughest challenge that any person can take on in any sport or discipline. Yea, tougher than Everest, tougher than man-hauling a sled to the North Pole…well, maybe that comes close…if you do it alone and unsupported.

By the way, the Vendee iPad app is a great way to follow along.

Cutlass Bearings

jhhrx100-0599

I do this a lot these days: When I need measurements, instead of taking them and writing it down, I get a couple of people to hold a tape and I take a photo.

jhhrx100-0599-2

You can do this with a phone, but it works even better with a higher res camera. This came from my Sony RX-100 Mk4 and is a crop of the one above, quite legible down to 1mm on my screen.

Now, if I had just had them hold the tape the right way up, I would be really smart.

jhhrx100-0609

I needed the measurements to build this cutlass bearing extraction tool. There’s a disk of 1/2″ G10 on the inside end (up inside the stern tube) of the 5/8″ fine thread rod. Just wind on the wrench and out she comes…except it didn’t work, much to my amazement.

Tightened as much as I dared…no movement. Think about how much load that is! I’m sure the engineers around here could calculate it, but I suspect the answer is one $%#@!! of a lot.

jhhrx100-0627

Back to the drawing board to design and build this tool. The long handle required because the bearing had managed to wind itself way up inside the shaft log—that’s a story for another day.

Nearly burst a blood vessel putting two cuts in the bearing at full reach. But then it just dropped out—go figure. If it was easy, everybody would be doing it.

Prime Lenses

Those of you who hate it when I go off topic should stop reading now. Not to worry, this post is in addition to our normal content, so you are not missing out.

Still here? Cool.

A couple of years ago I sold both my prime (no zoom) lenses. One because it was a bad example of a good design—happens in boats and lenses—and the other because it focused slowly on my OMD-EM1.

And generally I have been pretty happy with three fast 2.8 zooms covering 24 mm to waaay out to 420 mm. But every so often I get a serious jones on for a fast prime…or maybe two—there is simply no way to get “that special look”, particularly in people photography, other than a fast prime.

Yesterday I had to drive to Halifax. By the time I finished my errands it was rush hour. So what could I do but go and visit my pusher…er, favourite camera photo store, while the traffic died down. Cue the eye roll from Phyllis.

So I spent a happy hour, at least it was happy for me, making the sales people open boxes…lots of boxes…while I tried out lenses on my Olympus body.

I shot all wide open and used the long-suffering sales staff as models. This is not a lens review…I do have a life. But I thought the different looks that focal lengths produce would be of interest…well, I’m interested anyway.

Let’s start wide. The numbers in brackets are 35 mm equivalent. Click on the images to see them bigger.

None of this is great art, or scientific, and the light in the store is for shit, but still…

I like the 17 mm (34) Oly for environmental portraits and the 45 mm (90) Oly for emphasizing the person over everything else. I expected to like the Leica/Panasonic 15 mm, but turns out it’s just a bit wide for me, and the 25 mm (50) Oly did not grab me, although I thought it would. Maybe I should try it again…cut to shot of camera sales people screaming and running for the hills.

The Pany 20 mm is really nice, but like its predecessor, which I owned and loved, it focuses slow on my Oly body, so that’s out.

To me a test like this is a heck of a lot more useful than spending hours on the forums and reviews reading tech specs. Bottom line, a lens must give you images that please you, and that pleasure can’t be completely quantified—bit like boats.

So what did I buy? Nothing…yet.

What about you? What focal length(s) just work for you?

Let’s finish with the obligatory oversaturated evening shot. This one of Mahone Bay. Shot at 1/4-second hand heldjust amazing what modern in-body image stabilization can do and Oly are the masters at it.

jhhomd1-072410

Enjoyed this article? Please share:

Members, login to comment. Not a member? Join Today

• Bill Hoyne Nov 19, 2016, 1:09 pm

I was wondering if the Sony RX-100 MK4 would be a suitable camera on a boat. Is is weatherproof enough to be outside while sailing, obviously not getting dunked in the water, but can it take the splashes and rain? It looks like a great portable camera with great resolution.

On a side note, winter is finally settling in here out here in the Bragg Creek and Canmore. We should be skiing full time here in a few weeks. Let me know if you are planing a trip out here 🙂
    Cheers,
    Bill

• John Nov 20, 2016, 9:05 am

Hi Bill,

No, the sony is not weather proofed at all. I would expect it to do fine with a little mist and maybe a short time in light rain, but any sort of salt water splash would probably do for it. That said, Sony do sell a full on waterproof housing for it.

Canmore sounds great! Unfortunately, we will not be coming that way this year, hopefully next winter.

• pedr turner Nov 19, 2016, 7:04 pm

I shot the Oly 45 f1.8 on Pany GX7 body in a small town in the mountains of Costa Rica with a very dim incandescent bulb illuminating my partner’s favorite carnival activity, BUMPER CARS! The look of glee in her eyes and cheeks was very crisp as she bashed her way around the floor
    ( TWICE)!
    Seasons Greetings

• John Nov 20, 2016, 9:07 am

Hi Pedr,

A perfect use for that lens I think. The GX7 looks like a really nice camera too.

• Kristen Berry Nov 20, 2016, 10:55 am

The new Oly 25 1.2 in intriguing – flies in the face of the small/light prime concept – but it is fast and super sharp.

• John Nov 20, 2016, 4:34 pm

Hi Kristen,

I agree, what a lens! I’m hearing it rivals the best from Lica and Zeiss. Still, price would be a bit rich for me for a lens I probably would not use that often…well that’s my story now.

• Marc Dacey Nov 20, 2016, 2:51 pm

John, was that MC’s cutlass bearing you were replacing? What’s the story behind what appears to be a detachable rudder?

• John Nov 20, 2016, 4:23 pm

Hi Marc,

Yup, our bearings. And, like many boats, the rudder and the bottom of the skeg must come off to get the prop shaft out. Luckily the builder did some really smart stuff and we have great access, so two of us can have the rudder off in about two hours.

• Marc Dacey Nov 21, 2016, 12:41 pm

If the rudder is aluminum like the rest of the boat, I would be interested to know how top half fastens to the bottom half, and whether bushings are involved. Metal boat owners have an interest in such details! It’s a nice feature to have, however; our rudder’s transom-hung, so off she comes in under half an hour!

• John Nov 21, 2016, 2:49 pm

Hi Marc,

Wow, that would be a whole post and would require photos.

• Marc Dacey Nov 22, 2016, 12:12 pm

It might be worth it given how often rudders sustain damage. Ours is well-supported by a skeg, but most these days are not…presumably yours represents both the middle ground (no pun intended) not only in terms of making shaft work easier, but by way of repair, should damage be sustained. If you chose to, you could probably carry the lower half of that rudder as a bolt-on spare.

• John Nov 22, 2016, 1:03 pm

Hi Marc,

Colin has already written extensively and well on rudders: https://www.morganscloud.com/2013/07/09/spade-rudders-ready-for-sea/

• Jean Jutras Nov 20, 2016, 3:06 pm

Concerning the Vendée Globe, have a look to the virtual regatta and consider joining. You will have a boat and you will need to select your route, your sails, etc. You have real time information (wind, waves, pressure, etc) and there is a spectacular 3D view showing your boat in various angles. Amaizing.

• John Nov 20, 2016, 4:20 pm

Hi Jean,

I’m sure it would be fun. That said, running this site already has me spending a huge amount of time in front of a computer screen, so I think I will pass.

• Dave Gustafson Nov 20, 2016, 4:37 pm

I switched to a full frame Sony about a year and a half ago. My favorite lenses were a 35 year old OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8 and an old Canon EF-85/1.2L, both with adapters. The Sony gear was stolen in San Francisco last summer, and I switched to shooting primarily B&W film. An old OM-1n w/50mm when my primary purpose is taking photos, and an almost equally old XA w/35mm f2.8 rangefinder that is always in my pocket. I think the prime lens selection is based on what I’m shooting. 28mm iphone for landscapes, 35 mm rangefinder for street and urban, 50mm for nature and things, 85mm for portraits. A scan through tens of thousands of shots in Lightroom grouped by focal length from when I was using a zoom seems to support that. The lens I will probably pick up next will be a 50mm macro for those flowers and close up “small world” shots. Of course it’s all subjective!

• John Nov 20, 2016, 6:57 pm

Hi Dave,

Great to hear from you again, but what a bummer about the stolen gear! Thanks for the interesting thoughts on focal length. It really is fascinating to look though our photo libraries and see what focal lengths seem to work for us. For me, a lot of my best stuff is long, but then quite a few of my favourite shots are around 40mm. Anyway, instructive.

• Dave Gustafson Nov 20, 2016, 9:19 pm

Yes, that 40mm focal length has a lot of appeal. If I understand correctly, on a full frame 35mm format, 42mm focal length is equal to the diagonal of the frame, and some call it a “perfect” prime. Apparently it is easier to make a very sharp lens in that configuration. It is also nicely in the middle between 35 which many say is similar to our typical field of veiw (or attention) and 50 which is similar to many paintings. That 20mm Lumix has been on my list for a long time. Though I don’t have a m43 camera myself, Janna has a Lumix GH3 that I get to play with occasionally.

Please login, otherwise your comment won't display.