Wander through any marina or row through any mooring field (or popular anchorage) with an experienced eye and you will see a lot of scary things:
- Hulls that will pound horribly going up wind, both motor boats and sailboats.
- Motor boats that burn two or even three times more fuel than they should to move a given tonnage through the water at a given speed.
- Sailboats that need way more sail area than they should to sail well.
- Sailboats that are just plain slow.
- Sailboats that need huge rudders, and often two of them, to be even remotely controllable.