Q&A: Which Paper Charts For Greenland?

Question: What charts do you recommend for cruising Greenland? We have C-Map charts but they have insufficient coverage.

Answer: By far the best charts for Greenland are the Danish ones. Don’t get US or British Admiralty charts; they are not anywhere near as good as the Danish charts. I believe that Blue Water Charts in the USA can get Danish charts. But if you are in Norway you will probably get them faster and less expensively by going direct to the Danish chart office or a distributor.

Please Share

14 comments… add one
  • Dana Marlin Jan 12, 2012, 4:40 pm

This summer (2012) my girlfriend and I will be sailing up the east coast of the US and to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and over to Greenland and Iceland. We need charts and guides for this whole journey and after looking at the prices of new charts online, realize that we can’t buy new. Do you know of anyone willing to offload used guides and charts? Anyone?

Thanks
    Dana

• Ann Jan 13, 2012, 9:33 am

If you’re continuing on to Norway we have a set of sixty-eight Norwegian paper charts for sale at 1/2 price, most bought from Statens Kartverk in 2010, WGS-84, 1:50,000, pristine condition. They cover the inner leads from near Oslo north to Tromsø and include most of Svalbard.

• Dana Jan 13, 2012, 12:00 pm

No Plan yet to visit Norway, but I shall keep this in mind if we do. Thanks.

• Phyllis Jan 13, 2012, 10:55 am

Hi, Dana; There are a number of online sites advertizing used charts for sale, including eBay; however, I haven’t ever looked into it in any detail so I can’t say how well it would work. I also know that various clubs like the Seven Seas Cruising Association and the Ocean Cruising Club have members looking to sell used charts (in case you’re a member of any of those groups). Good luck with getting the charts and for your cruise.

• Dana Jan 13, 2012, 12:01 pm

Thanks Phyllis, I shall look into your suggestions.

Dana

• Pete Stokes Mar 12, 2012, 2:10 pm

Hi Dana,
      I’m not sure if you have this message or if I incorrectly posted it. Sorry if you now have it twice.

I have Danish charts for much of the west coast of Greenland and BA charts for the south and west coast of Iceland. See summary below:
      The charts for Greenland cover the west coast from Kap Farvel to just north of Disko Bugt (about 72 deg N). In total there are 37 Danish and 2 BA charts.

The charts for Iceland cover part of the south and west coasts including the Vestmannaeyjar plus a passage chart Scotland to Iceland, the Denmark Strait and the Norwegian Sea. In total there are 15 BA and 5 Icelandic charts.

I also have an Atlas of Pilot Charts – North Atlantic Ocean issued by the Defense Mapping Agency of the USA.

Kind regards

Pete

• Alex Jun 18, 2012, 7:58 pm

Hi Pete,

Do you still have those charts? Are you interested in selling some of them of the west coast? I’m in the process of buying them now. And the last question is how old are they?

Kind regards

Alex

• Pete Stokes Jun 19, 2012, 4:26 am

Yes they are still available. If you let me have your email address I will send you a list. The list details chart number title, scale and date. I also have the US Atlas of Pilot Charts for the North Atlantic.

Kind regards

Pete
      ps.ebpp@gmail.com

• Nancy Zydler Apr 2, 2013, 6:41 pm

Dear Pete,
        I am looking for charts for the west coast of Greenland. If you didn’t sell yours please let me know.
        Nancy

• Pete Stokes Apr 3, 2013, 3:58 am

I still have a few left. If you let me have an email address I’ll make a list and send it to you.

Kind regards

Pete

• Tom Zydler Apr 3, 2013, 12:30 pm

Hi Pete,
            Do you any on the list below? Please let me know soon as I just began ordering procedures but haven’t finished them yet.
            My e-mail is mollymawkinc@gmail.com
            Regards, Tom

1200 1300 1400 1500 1600 1700
            1211 1301 1410 1510 1610 1710
            1212 1310 1413 1511 1650
            1213 1313 1414 1512
            1250 1314 1415 1513
            1251 1350 1416 1550
            1351 1450 1551
            1352 1451 1552
            1353

• Werner Baeumler Jan 7, 2014, 7:34 pm

Does anybody out there still have used danish charts for the west coast of Greenland from Nuuk down to Fredriksdal near Cape Farvel?I am planning to sail there again this summer from Toronto/Canada. Almost got to Cape Farvel in summer of 2010.
    Thanks,
    Werner Baeumler.

• P Stokes Jan 8, 2014, 5:27 am

Hello Werner, I have now sold most of my charts but I will check to see if I have any left and let you know what I find.
      Kind regards

Pete Stokes

• P Stokes Jan 15, 2014, 7:14 am

Hello Werner, Sorry all of my Danish charts for Greenland have gone, I still have three or four BA charts but these are not a good as the Danish charts.

Kind regards