Going Cruising—Being Realistic About You, 4 Tips

Our friend and new Attainable Adventure Cruising author Mick O’Flanagan knocked it out of the park with his post on going cruising on US$15,000 a year, including the boat—one of the most read posts in the history of this site. And no wonder, it’s a lovely story beautifully told.

I think the appeal of Mick’s piece is that it gives so many readers a real hope that they can attain the cruising life in a world of shrinking opportunity, particularly for younger people, who were not born, as I was, into what I firmly believe is the luckiest generation in history: boomers.

So for those of you who have had the voyaging flame kindled by Mick’s post and are now thinking about how to get out there, what’s the next step?

1. Make a budget that includes hefty savings?
  2. Start saving like a fiend, and in the process learn to live on less?
  3. Hone the skills that you will need to be a voyager?
  4. Start looking at boats?

You Are More Important Than The Boat

While all of those things are important, I would argue that the very first step on your road to voyaging freedom should be a long hard look in the mirror:

• Who are you, really?
  • What will really make you happy and content?
  • What are your true capabilities?
  • How fearful (anxious) are you?
  • What are you naturally good at?
  • What are your weaknesses?
  • What is your capacity to deal with discomfort?
  • Can you still enjoy life while you are uncomfortable?

And, once you have done all that, an even harder step: If you have a spouse who will go with you, encourage him or her to go through the same process.

And then, harder still, sit down and discuss those answers, and think about how they will mesh together in a small space, particularly if you are under stress or scared. And if you go cruising you will be both of these more often than you think…at least if you are anything like Phyllis and me.

Take Your Time

Really take your time over this process. I’m talking weeks here…maybe months…not days. And for heaven’s sake be honest and realistic with yourself and each other (if part of a couple) because, if you delude yourself, I can near-guarantee you that you won’t be a happy voyager and further that, if you are a couple, cruising might cost you your relationship.

Once you have all that together, you can start using your, or your combined, self-analysis to decide what kind of boat and voyaging you aspire to.

Obviously, I can’t tell you what you should do…I don’t even know you. And even if I did, this should be a deeply personal process that only you can do well.

However, what I can do is give you an example of the process by writing about whether or not Phyllis and I could cruise like Mick and Bee, and in that process examine some of the things that all of us need to think about.

In my younger days I was reasonably good at putting up with discomfort and even having fun while uncomfortable—a required ability if you are going to ocean race, or spend as much time cruising the Arctic in an open cockpit boat as I have, or get as seasick as I do—but as I get older, not so much. And Phyllis has a lower discomfort tolerance than I do, particularly to motion and noise, and she also finds it very difficult to smell the roses when assaulted by those inputs.

A quick aside, if you have not experienced high winds and seas when offshore, particularly when the resulting over-stimulus of senses goes on for more than a few hours, you simply can’t imagine how hard it is to not fervently wish to be somewhere else and have that wish become the very core of your existence while in those conditions. So, as part of this process, if you have not already done so, you should go sailing offshore.

On the other hand, Mick and Bee have the ability (often exhibited by those from the British Isles and Ireland) to absorb discomfort and even glory in it. And make no mistake, sailing the way they do gives them plenty of opportunity to exercise that talent!

For example, what Phyllis and I spend on clothing to remain comfortable, particularly in cold weather up north, would blow their budget to smithereens. (Mick and Bee make do with cheap fishermen’s non-breathing foul weather gear and old clothes. And they only just discovered that sea boots and wool socks are more comfortable than Crocs and bare feet—see, seriously tough.)

And our lower tolerance for discomfort also means that we are fundamentally unsuited to sailing a slow boat like Hannah—the slower your boat is, the longer the discomfort will go on for, and the more likely you are to hit uncomfortable weather in the first place.

For example, it recently took Mick and Bee four days, much of it uncomfortable, to sail from our Base Camp in Nova Scotia to Maine, a trip we typically knock off in 36 hours in one easy weather-window, even late or early in the season. (Of course, it doesn’t always work that way!)

It’s romantic and undeniably sane to approach passages with Mick and Bee’s (or Lin and Larry Pardey’s) fatalistic approach of “what’s the hurry”, but we all need to be honest with ourselves about whether or not we are actually suited to that way of voyaging. Phyllis and I are not.

I have met few people in my life who have Mick and Bee’s ability to live with uncertainty. To set happily off on a voyage with no clear idea of how long it will take or what weather they will encounter.

And I truly wish I was better at this than I am. But the fact is that, although I’m reasonably good at reacting well to the unexpected—you don’t skipper as many passages to the Arctic as I have without that capability—to be happy and content I need to have a plan that I can have reasonable confidence in, and Phyllis is the same.

Tip #2

While I think that being able to enjoy life while embracing, not just tolerating, uncertainty is something we should all aspire to and work at, realistically, very few of us can do it well and consistently. And if you pick a boat and cruising style that requires this ability, and don’t in fact have it (both of you), you will be miserable.

Physical Strength and Endurance

Mick alluded to how tough Hannah is to sail, but if you have not sailed a gaffer like her, you simply have no idea the level he is talking about. What makes it work for them is that, while Mick is strong, Bee is a paragon. She was a competitive triathlete and has the strength and endurance to crank that manual windlass in situations when flagging will result in the loss of the boat. Or hoist that massively heavy mainsail and gaff with a halyard in each hand (yes, it takes two halyards).

I, on the other hand, was a skinny, sickly, child and, while I work hard to stay fit, that situation has not got better with age and the injuries I have subjected my body to. And Phyllis has her own stuff, including injury-prone shoulder joints.

Bottomline, we are simply not strong enough to sail Hannah safely and, even if we were, we don’t have the endurance that a slow boat requires because you will simply be in tough situations longer and more often.

Tip #3

We all want to be rough and tough but, if we overestimate our physical strength and even more importantly our endurance when choosing a boat and how we will sail her, not only will it not be fun, it could end very badly—exhaustion is the biggest reason boats are abandoned.

Mick and Bee are two of the bravest people I know. No, I’m not taking about the kind of bravery you need to perform well in a storm at sea, although I’m sure they have that kind too, but the bravery you need to voluntarily live life on the financial edge.

The bravery to:

• Sail a difficult-to-manoeuvre boat to hazardous places uninsured (other than third party). That’s right, if Mick and Bee wreck Hannah, they lose everything: boat, savings, and home.
  • Live without health insurance in countries that are not their own.

Phyllis and I are simply not brave enough to live under those circumstances and without the security that a Base Camp on land, a steady job (thank you members), and an investment portfolio confers—we would simply worry ourselves sick.

An aside here, but an important one: Mick and Bee are UK citizens.

• Mick just started receiving his pension, which, while modest, is, I believe, indexed to inflation and guaranteed for life.
  • And I assume Bee will eventually receive the same.
  • The UK has universal health care, so all they need to do in the event of a health problem is crawl across the border—not a trivial requirement, but still a comfort.

These facts make many of their lifestyle choices far more sensible than they would be for those from countries with a less all-encompassing safety net—Mick and Bee are brave but they are not fools.

Tip #4

We all want to think of ourselves as brave but, in reality, many of us aren’t very. Don’t set yourself up for continuing anxiety by buying a boat and taking on a life that is beyond your intrinsic courage.

But Challenge Yourself

OK, all of that was pretty gloomy with lots of focus on limitations, and could be read as me trying to discourage you from pursuing your dreams.

Not a bit of it. I urge you to do as Phyllis and I have with our Arctic cruises, and do your utmost to stretch yourself beyond your comfort zone. Just make sure you take on those challenges from a firm foundation of understanding of your own capabilities and don’t fool yourself by taking on someone else’s.

It’s All About You

And, carrying on from that thought, don’t let my answers to the above questions influence you. I only discussed them to illustrate the process. You may be way tougher than Phyllis and me. Heck, you may be way tougher than Mick and Bee! Just make sure that you mindfully decide where you stand on the continuum, and don’t just drift into a boat and/or a way of cruising that is not yours but is, in fact, someone else’s.

Bonus Tip

If you are a couple and, on examining your place on what I might call the toughness scale, you find that one of you is a lot tougher than the other, buy your boat and plan your cruise to make the less-tough person at least fairly comfortable. If you lean the other way, it will end badly—I’m going to guess it’s the most common cause of broken cruising dreams.

Further Reading

Enjoyed this article? Please share:

Members, login to comment. Not a member? Join Today

• chris freeman Mar 19, 2016, 7:56 pm

John. I’m with you in the wimp category but I do like to read about those who are obviously tougher than I chose to be. Another read your readers may enjoy is google” Iron barks travels”.You may be familiar with this story about overwintering in the arctic without heating .

• John Mar 20, 2016, 8:07 am

Hi Chris,

Yes, very aware of Trever’s incredible cruises. In fact he is a member here at AAC and has left some very smart comments. I would completely agree with your recommendation.

• Taras Mar 20, 2016, 4:23 am

I’m not considering a super tought guy myself, but I do enjoy reading about others – it brings some thoughts and ideas that I can try.
    Books from Pardeys and some other about cruising in northern latitudes definitely helped me understand more about want vs need, helped make better decisions and improved not only my sailing life.
    While reading such books or stories its always nice to think what I would do in same scenario, would I be comfortable enought loving same way or doing similar things.

• Rod. Mar 20, 2016, 6:28 am

Many people are not aware that Universal health insurance or the (NHS) National Health Service, does not cover you if you are out of the country for more than 6 months.
    Many people have been caught out on this, some with dire health conditions.
    England is waking up be it very slowly.

• John Mar 20, 2016, 8:11 am

Hi Rod,

We have the same regulation in most provinces in Canada. Having said that, even if health care lapses, I think I’m still right in saying that it is automatically reinstated if you can crawl across the border? That is certainly the case here in Nova Scotia, although I believe some other provinces have a waiting period (I think Ontario is three months.)

• Rod. Mar 20, 2016, 1:38 pm

It’s not the case here, might be a time element to it – not sure on that point.
        Case in point, English couple came back to the UK after moving to France, they fell foul of the French system due to a change in the law once becoming retired. (very convoluted and politically motivated).
        The man had a heart condition came back to the Uk thinking they would be entitled to the NHS and were told that they did not have entitlement.
        I only bring this up for the benefit of people who might go off sailing into the blue, thinking they are entitled and find that the opposite is the case on their return.
        I live in the med part of the year and come back (sometimes) looking a little tanned,
        Occasion arrived where I had to go into hospital for minor situation and the first thing I was asked is, have I been out of the country and how long !
        I’m enjoying all the posts John.

• John Mar 21, 2016, 8:42 am

Hi Rod,

That’s a scary story. I’m guessing that it’s all linked to residence. And in Mick and Bee’s case, as well as other cruisers, I’m guessing that if they continue to file taxes in the UK (or in Nova Scotia in our case) they would be deemed resident and therefore entitled to health care on return.

• Marc Dacey Mar 21, 2016, 3:18 pm

It’s difficult to glean sensible, current information on this, but it does argue in favour (if you are Canadian or British; I don’t know about the U.S. or Europe or elsewhere) of maintaining a principal residence. You can rent that out and just keep a cot in the basement, but if your bills are being paid by an appointed “minder” who collects rent and fixes taps for a small fee, our strong impression is that you are likely to appear at home.

• RDE Mar 20, 2016, 11:17 am

Great analysis of the factors that go into deciding what life style is suitable for the individual personalities involved. I remember meeting the Pardeys in Port Townsend shortly after they had sailed their 24′ Serafin from Japan in 54 days. Someone asked Larry what they did with all that time. “Well, we had a lot of box wine.”

In life there are needs and wants—-.

A couple of years later I was out for a Sunday sail on a friend’s boat that was an exact replica of Serafin. An inexperienced person at the helm managed to put the spreaders in the water. Immense admiration for the seamanship required to sail that boat across an ocean, but not my cup of tea. Or for very many others for that matter.

Speaking of life styles that take a different path, I’ve just been enjoying the biography of Dr. Dorian Pascowitz, a renowned doctor who cast aside material possessions to live in a 24′ motor home with his wife, raise nine kids in it, and surf every day. They raised the kids in the school of the ocean, without submitting them to a minute of the captivity (schooling) that society considers necessary in order to make them into functioning consumers. Makes Mick & Bee’s cruising seems positively tame in comparison!

• Jim Ferguson Mar 20, 2016, 11:34 am

I always enjoy reading your posts, but I haven’t commented for a while. We met Mick and Bee in 2010 in Baddeck where our Cutter Maggie had wintered. Very few people are as qualified as them and we really enjoyed their post as well as your comments. Another possible tip is “Go offshore before you by the boat.” We did this in ’79 when we talked our way into a Transpac delivery back to California. Once we understood it was something we could both tolerate and enjoy we moved aboard our first cruising boat in 1980. Keep the articles coming.

• jason thrupp Mar 20, 2016, 1:03 pm

Thanks for the plethora of interesting and valuable articles on AAC. I particularly enjoyed Mick’s as I have the many books and articles from the earlier cruisers and the few like Mick that are still sailing in this way today.
    I, like many of us, have a deep almost romantic fascination for a basic, less comfortable and more challenging life experience based around voyaging and boats; but I think your article makes a good point regards having a clear understanding of what you are truly capable of not just enduring, but enjoying. I had a 28ft 1935 Norman Dalimore Cutter which I restored and sailed when I was living in New Zealand and I spent many weeks in the summers away cruising the East Coast of the North Island. These were very basic times, but some of the best times of my life. However, I am very clear now that a few weeks was likely enough, and longer or more permanent stints might not have left me with such fond memories!
    I have completed 3 out of your 4 tips and I am now patiently waiting for my ADVENTURE 40 – can you provide us an update on that project soon…
    Best regards and thanks for the great site!

• John Mar 21, 2016, 8:44 am

Hi Jason,

Just working on an A40 post at the moment.

• Pete Worrell Mar 20, 2016, 7:40 pm

I am with you on your good analysis. I am filled with admiration for Mick & Bee. Kareen and I have found that judicious use of practical systems increases our enjoyment and peace of mind in cruising as a couple.

I have been thinking deeply about the fact that as sapiens, we were biologically selected for a culture that no longer exists. It’s no surprise that some of us turn to cruising, where Mother Nature is firmly in charge. It seems to us that Comfort is over-rated.

Pete & Kareen Worrell
    SV PATIENCE (Hood Pilothouse 51)

• Ed Finn Mar 20, 2016, 7:56 pm

After reading the cruising tips, and the comments, I am reminded of that old
    Clint Eastwood/Dirty Harry quote,
    “A man has got to know his limitations”

• Vince Bossley Mar 20, 2016, 9:18 pm

Absolutely agree with your posting above. Your header graphic illustrates it perfectly. That is why I chose to make my voyage with me and a select few friends and family. Crew can often be as much of a impediment as unwilling partners. Having said that, unsatisfactory crew are easier to get rid of! My crew never exceeded more than three (including myself), and that worked well.

We ran a watch system beginning at 2000hrs. split into three four hour watches through the night until 0800hrs. During the daylight hours everyone was on watch, could do what ever they chose providing that if they went below, they ensured someone remained on deck on watch. This worked very well and never failed once.

Additionally, I recommend all potential voyage planners read a little book ‘Psychology of Sailing’ by Michael Stadler before going too far down their chosen path. It highlights many of the issues you have discussed. It is available in nautical book stores and online.

Best regards,

Vince Bossley

• John Mar 21, 2016, 8:50 am

Hi Vince,

We too have found three, or less often four, an optimal number for our tougher cruises, and the rest of the time are happy to be just the two of us.

On watches, while I’m sure that not having structured watches during the day works for you, I would cation people to start out with a full 24 hour watch schedule and be firm with the crew about sticking to it since I find it hard to see how a small crew can get enough rest if they are up all day.

I also like to make very clear who is responsible for running the boat at any given moment, to the point that Phyllis and I formally say “you have the watch” and wait for an acknowledgement before going below, or even picking up a book.

• Marc Dacey Mar 21, 2016, 3:22 pm

We have found we got over the seemingly ridiculous formality of relieving the deck watch after we realized the sea can be pretty loud and the mental list of things to do before you crawl over the lee cloths pretty distracting, and so we do that whole “I relieve you…I stand relieved” thing. I also expect that if I am asking a question or making a request that it is repeated back to me in all but the most casual conditions, lest I require a wrench and get handed ranch dressing.

• Rob Gill Mar 22, 2016, 3:44 am

Very good point John about watch handovers – I strongly support this. This always happened formally on all ships I was on and was standard practice. If you ever disagreed (heaven forbid) with the Captain’s actions or commands whilst officer of the watch, as I had to in the middle of the North Sea in fog, doing 22 knots on a 1200 foot container ship, at the grand age of 22 with a shiny new Mate’s ticket and our senior fleet captain (65) on his last trip before retirement, you would politely but firmly inform the Captain that you disagreed with his actions/commands and that he had the watch, writing this up in the log, noting the time and signing alongside. You still carried out his commands though, unless … actually let’s not go there it’s rather frightening for us sailors!

A formal handover process is also important when you have blind spots from the cockpit, and the real possibility of one person assuming another will have seen the fishing boat just ahead! Having a designated watch keeper ensures one person is taking this prime responsibility of keeping a safe “watch”.

The other really important handover (used on ships), that more often gets forgotten, especially at a stressful time is when the skipper comes on deck from off watch or is called by the watch. In this situation, the skipper should tell the watch keeper if or when they are taking back command, (or specifically what part of the duties they are taking over, if any). If this isn’t observed, it is easy for both parties to assume they are conning the vessel, which isn’t as bad as no one being responsible, but ensuing events can become confusing or worse.

• John Mar 22, 2016, 8:13 am

Hi Rob,

Interesting about the correct way to handle very difficult situations in the merchant navy. I think we yachties can, and should, learn a lot more from the professionals than we do.

• RDE Mar 22, 2016, 11:18 am

Hi Rob,
          I couldn’t agree more about the desirability of a standard hand-over procedure during watch changes. Even if the crew is a spouse on a double-handed boat a status update and acknowledgement should be second nature.

When flying tandem single seat aircraft the words “your airplane” always precede surrendering control of the stick. Quite useful when a thermaling hawk suddenly appears in a 180 knot collision course with your windscreen during hand-over!

• Rob Gill Mar 22, 2016, 6:22 pm

Hi Richard,
            Crikey! Wouldn’t the correct call in this situation be “your bird”?

• Vince Bossley Mar 27, 2016, 7:50 pm

Good comments all. In relation to sleep time or lack thereof, the ‘off watch’ crew member of the system I ran overnight had a full eight hours of sleep as we only had one crew ‘on watch’ each four hour watch. If you happened to be the unlucky midnight to 0400hrs keeper, then that gave you two four hour sleeps. This can be overcome by rotating the system from time to time during long voyages.

When changing watch during the night, the crew going off watch handed over with a short formal update to the new watch keeper before going below.

One could also sleep during the day, but would soon be woken (without compunction!) if necessary by other crew wanting some down time.

Cheers, Vince

• John Mar 28, 2016, 8:29 am

Hi Vince,

Ah, yes, I see now that you have that many watch standers there is no need for formal watches in the day. I’m so used to being watch and watch about, that’s all I think of.

• Jeff Bander Mar 20, 2016, 10:22 pm

To see each other clearly (something implied in the cover photo) seems like the work of a lifetime, but crucial for a cruising couple who will face challenges together quite different from those seen on land.

One learning I’ve taken from the airplane community, who originated Cockpit Resource Management to fight back against the rash of accidents caused by human factors, is: “Always follow the lead of the most frightened/cautious pilot.”

This was something I had to learn. My own bravado got in the way. But when I purposely scaled it back, I came to see how sane an approach this really is.

• Rob Gill Mar 21, 2016, 5:18 pm

Hi Jeff,
      Great comment on scaling back to the comfort level of “the most frightened / cautious”. For me this is perhaps the hardest thing to do as a lifetime sailor and racer with a less confident but quietly competent first mate, as we approach offshore sailing passages together. I just read in (John’s further reading recommendation) Phyllis’ wonderful article, “A Reluctant Voyager” which resonates for us.
      I’m slowly learning that it isn’t expensive gear that helps us achieve the right balance – it’s a change of mindset for me as skipper. Like setting off on a car journey 30 minutes early so you have time to slow down, relax and enjoy the trip in safely. So maybe, what Mick didn’t say in his earlier delightful read is that he and Bee aren’t slow at all, they just purposefully set off two weeks early to have time to “smell the seaweed”?
      Oh, and a $10 inclinometer mounted in our hatchway that (repeat after me Rob) “doesn’t go past 15 degrees” has been pretty helpful.

• John Mar 22, 2016, 8:06 am

Hi Rob,

Now there’s a couple of good thoughts.

• John Mar 21, 2016, 8:51 am

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great comments. As usual, you have added a lot to the article.

• Richard Dykiel Mar 21, 2016, 4:53 pm

As a long time admirer of the Pardey’s sailing philosophy, I was glad to read that different perspective from experienced cruisers like you: you made excellent points well worth pondering.

• Richard Dykiel Mar 22, 2016, 12:11 pm

FWIW I also like what I read here although it might be better placed in a chapter on adventure40:

• Stedem Wood Mar 25, 2016, 6:43 am

I once heard someone describe sailors as either romantics, or escapists.

I’m not so sure, but….maybe some grain of truth in that. Your post has done an excellent job of describing there’s a lot more than romance going on for the folks who’ve been successful at ticking off lots of sea miles.

A lot of dreams are fed while discussing boats and gear and skills –but mindset seems to get lost in the discussion.

The sad and sometimes tragic consequence is apparent in the abandoned boats you see in so many harbors. Maybe more often than broken or unsuitable boats and gear, the stories you hear describe frustration, health problems, broken dreams, or water-soluble relationships and marriages.

Stedem Wood
      M/V Atlantis

• John Mar 25, 2016, 9:01 am

Hi Stedem,

So true, and as you say, so sad.

• RDE Mar 28, 2016, 11:12 am

Back in my single days I found the perfect test for determining if a budding relationship might be water soluble. Just hand the victim a few sheets of sandpaper and point to the varnish. Works every time.

• victor raymond Apr 1, 2016, 2:14 pm

My wife and I are helping my Dad through the final stages of his life. If you think sailing is tough try the alternative. I would rather fall off the boat and be shark food than go through what he is experiencing. Getting old is not for sissies. Eat well, get out, keep moving and slow down the aging process.

• Tim J Aug 7, 2016, 2:27 pm

This is a really good article. The reality that your relationships are the most important thing in the world. It’s a common position to take the person on-board who is the least comfortable with the conditions and adjust to their comfort. Reef sooner, harness up, change course or slowing down will help build trust in your leadership. Saying “this is nothing! suck it up!” will not go well with your spouse. Experience over time will teach the ‘wimpier’ of the two that it’s going to be OK. Trust is the hardest thing to gain and the easiest thing to lose.
    We are about to embark on our cruising journey of 3-9 months of cruising and crossings. We are starting with harbour-hopping to build my wife’s comfort levels. Then a passage with one night at sea, then when she is ready, we’ll do longer legs and a crossing to Hawaii, but only when she’s ready; she has a long way to go before she’s ready. It will be worth the wait.

• Marc Dacey Aug 7, 2016, 7:18 pm

If I may make a suggestion to aid this process: Let her drive, at least in the benign conditions. Watch-keeping and log entries and trimming create “feel” pretty quickly. She may start to like it sooner than you think.

• Tim J Aug 8, 2016, 12:15 am

I totally agree. I can be a “helm hog” but need to resist to give her time on the helm. The other day she went out in the ocean with a friend, I was on another boat and saw her on the helm from about 1/2 mile away, I felt so proud she was doing that. In the end, she went a few miles out and sailed it back into the slip, (under sail) on her own with coaching from the owner. That was pretty amazing.

• Marc Dacey Aug 8, 2016, 1:38 am

Maybe it’s because I’ve never driven a car, but I prefer trimming and tweaking and wandering around the deck checking things. My wife handles over 50% of the helming and I got a six-block mainsheet so she can do that, too. Good luck with her progression. A second unsolicited tip is to suggest she crew on a delivery…without you. She’ll have a totally different dynamic and will have “her own adventures”, including solo watchstanding at 0300h. She’ll come back with loads of useful experiences.

• John Aug 8, 2016, 8:50 am

Hi Tim,

Glad you enjoyed the article. It sounds as if you are coming at this exactly right.

Please login, otherwise your comment won't display.