Andy Schell, at 59-North, just published a podcast we did together back in June.
We discussed a bunch of stuff, including:
- Seamanlike lithium battery installations.
- Roller furling sails and sail automation—are these systems seamanlike?
- Mainsheet risk. This part was upsetting to listen to for me, given that it was recorded on June 16th, right after the yacht Escape tragedy—at the time of the recording we did not know what had happened, so a disturbing coincidence.
- Refits. Andy and I are both in the throes of our fourth—both crazy after all these years.
- The Adventure 40 and why we need the boat more than ever before.
- Why Phyllis and I bought a J/109.
I’m always nervous about these podcasts, since I feel a lot more comfortable expressing my views in writing than verbally, particularly as I age and my thinking does not happen as quickly as it once did.
That said, I only had a couple of old-guy moments, the most notable when I said lead-acid when I meant lithium, so I didn’t cringe too much when listening.
The credit for how well it went goes to Andy. This is my fourth time as a guest on his podcast. He was always a great interviewer, but he just gets better and better—Andy makes me a better interview subject than I really am!
Take a listen: