We Are All About Voyaging

AAC world headquarters, aka our cabin in the woods.

It’s starting to feel like the world is coming seriously unglued, what with COVID-19 and the associated economic disruptions, not to speak of some spectacular stock market volatility.

So what are we changing here at AAC? Not a damned thing.

We will continue to:

• Publish every five to seven days, with the occasional holiday (vacation).
  • Work on our refit series.
  • Roll out more improvements to the site design over the next six months.
  • Be there most every day in the comments to discuss offshore voyaging.

Of course, all of that is dependant on neither of us getting sick, but then all of us, particularly those of us who are older, are facing that reality.

As you would expect, our new membership sales have fallen off a cliff, but most of our existing members are renewing. Thank you. So, provided that continues, AAC should stay viable long enough to ride this out.

And, despite both being quite anxious people, Phyllis and I firmly believe that this will pass in time, so we are going to do everything we can to make sure that AAC is still around doing what we do when things get better.

Of course, all that’s pretty inconsequential at a time like this, when we are all fearful for the health of our loved ones and ourselves, and many will be struggling with money challenges. Know that Phyllis and I hope that things will be as good as they can be for you and yours.

Comments

Please limit your comments to any thoughts, suggestions, or questions you may have about how AAC will handle this situation. In other words, as usual, stay on topic.

To be clear, I will delete any comments of the “world is ending” type—plenty of other places to read that stuff! And don’t even think about mentioning politics or comparing how different countries are handling this.

In the same vein, going forward we will limit discussion to offshore voyaging. That said, if you need to mention the virus, or an associated problem, in relation to how you personally are approaching a cruising or boat issue, that’s fine.

49 comments… add one
  • Richard Samuels Mar 14, 2020, 3:54 pm

We’re racing on the Columbia River in Portland, Oregon tomorrow, assuming the unusual March snow is gone by then. A social event after the race has been cancelled, as have most gatherings here. No St. Patrick’s day party at the club. Most stores are open. Grocery stores crowded with some empty shelves.Of course the world is going to end, in a few billion years, give or take. We’re all going to die, too. I expect, at age 67, I have twenty to thirty years. Life goes on.

• John Mar 15, 2020, 9:49 am

Hi Richard,

No matter what is happening, going sailboat racing makes the world a better place!

• Bill Attwood Mar 14, 2020, 3:57 pm

Hi John
    Wish you and Phyllis continuing good health. Like you, we are in the fortunate position of being able to self-isolate without problems. On reflection, that’s more or less our normal life style. 😉 The picture of your cabin in the woods produced an instant and violent surge of jealousy. Maybe some pics of outside would be nice as an occasional leavening of the serious stuff.
    Yours aye
    Bill

• John Mar 14, 2020, 5:38 pm

Hi Bill,

We are indeed fortunate to have Base Camp, as we call it. Here are some other shots: https://www.morganscloud.com/2010/10/25/land-base-for-cruisers/

And some of our wharf, which is probably worth more than the house: https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/10/07/johns-random-thoughts-and-photos-october-2/

The winter look: https://www.morganscloud.com/2014/03/27/this-and-that-march/

• Marc Dacey Mar 18, 2020, 1:34 pm

John, I just checked that 2016 post and it appears I still owe you a Gosling’s. So there’s that, at least.

Today the Canada/U.S. border was closed to “non-essential traffic”. Whether this will affect or retard our passage down the St. Lawrence at the end of April to haul out in Hubbards in June is, at present, unknown, of course. But we are wrapping up our refitting as if we are going to get there as it would be silly to stop now. Good health to all of you there, and I’m probably not the first one to note that the boat life is not nearly as affected by present events as is the, say, living in a condo and working in an office life.

• Mike McCue Mar 14, 2020, 6:53 pm

Happy to be a supporter of your excellent writing. I’m almost finished with what turned out to be a huge refit for my 1967 Cal 48 here in the SF Bay Area. Your articles and books have been hugely helpful along the way and you can count on me as a loyal subscriber for the long haul. I’ve learned so much from you and Phyllis as both a sailor and a boat owner. I encourage others to subscribe because it just makes sound financial sense. You’ve already saved me many, many times the cost of the subscription and those savings would have been even more had I discovered AAC and read your advice on refits before I started mine two years ago! 🙂

Finally, my wife and I started a company called Flipboard which is a great way to get more readers to be aware of your content. If you create a profile on Flipboard (free to do) I’d be happy to be sure we promote it to our millions of users around the world. Let me know if you do and I’ll see to it that we get it featured to our audience.

Take care of yourselves and thank you again for the incredibly useful advice and inspiration you provide to all of your readers.

– Mike

• John Mar 15, 2020, 9:45 am

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Cal 48 is a great boat and well worth saving. I’m a huge fan of Bill Lapworth, her designer. These days few people even remember Lapworth, but he changed the sailing world with the Cal 40. I also had the privilege of meeting him a couple of times.

I just checked out Flipboard. Very cool. I was going to sign up, but I see in you FAQ that you only want feeds for free content and these days very few of our new articles are free, so I don’t think that will work for us.

• Norris Eaton Mar 15, 2020, 2:44 pm

Hi Mike,

Flipboard is the first place I visit online every day. When I signed up, years ago, your interest in sailing was the reason I gave Flipboard a try.

While I have tried other methods of consolidating a variety of news feeds, I keep returning to Flipboard. I believe the winning combination is the quality content sources (NYT, Guardian, Globe & Mail, local Canadian CBC news, etc), being able to read a few lines of the first paragraph of any article regardless of whether the source is free (i.e Guardian) or paid (i.e. New York Times), an intro picture associated with each article, and new content arriving every few minutes at my personalized Flipboard “For You” tab.

Other than AAC, my other paid online subscriptions originated when I was able to browse a broad range of article headlines via Flipboard. As an example, I finally subscribed to the New York Times after noticing consistent quality article titles/intros featured daily on Flipboard.

John, having ACC headlines linked to Flipboard, with full articles still accessible as a paid service, should be an excellent way to promote the AAC website and possibly increase paid subscriptions over time.

Regards,
      Norris

• Doug Merrett Mar 14, 2020, 8:30 pm

Hi John and Phyllis,
    Love the shots of BaseCamp, it truly does seem idyllic. The other thing that struck me in the photo was it seemed at first you were going seriously old-school with a micro-fiche reader. But now it looks more like some sort of glare shield for your monitor. Brought back memories of digging through the National Archives years ago looking at old records.
    Doug Merrett

• John Mar 15, 2020, 9:48 am

Hi Doug,

Yes, it’s a loverly place indeed.

My monitor is colour calibrated so the shade helps stop the ambient light from fooling my eyes when I’m optimizing a photo.

• Timothy Grady Mar 15, 2020, 10:31 am

I do not understand whey subscriptions have tanked for you guys. It is still the best deal out there. Always a good [old school] perspective with the sprinkling of tech. Maybe more people are just casting off…

• John Mar 15, 2020, 4:16 pm

Hi Timothy,

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess the fact that our new sales have tanked does not surprise me a lot. People are, I think, focusing on health and money risks to the exclusion of most other things. And, in fact, I think that’s the way it should be, at least until each of us has done all we can to manage those risks. Who knows, after that, when we are all sitting home looking for other and more cheerful things to do, maybe our new member sales will pick up.

• Andre Langevin Mar 15, 2020, 10:36 am

Stay safe John and Phyllis, altough COVID is like a flu on steriods, nobody wants to play the random roulette of genetic immunity system response. The Ocean Sailing seminar i should have had at Annapolis on March 27-28 was cancelled 🙁 and hopefully just postponed. While quiet at home i have been honing my digital skills by upgrading my venerable Navnet 3D (Windows CE) chartplotter from mechanical drive to SSD (yes it can be done although the disk is bitlocked). ALthough they are old like me, they work pretty well 🙂

Wish everybody a safe time

• James Chase Mar 15, 2020, 11:00 am

I’m writing this from Solomons, Maryland, on-board my boat. I live in British Columbia, but I’m out here in Maryland for my final refit trip, before a planned TransAtlantic crossing in May… Now I’m facing the prospect of either going home sooner than planned, with unfinished work remaining- or stay and get the work done, but possibly end up being stuck here and unable to get home… the situation is fluid (bad pun intended). I’d prefer to just put my head back down, crank the tunes and get to work, but the necessary monitoring of the news is really getting overwhelming! Ultimately, while I know my plans for May could yet be affected too, I’d like to be ready if everything can proceed as normal…

• Ted Simper Mar 15, 2020, 1:24 pm

Glad to hear everything is continuing. This is a great site!
      We had intended to carry on west from Australia this year in Roundabout II but now it is becoming difficult to even get to the boat from our home in Alberta. Ah well, we do live in a lovely location on the edge of the Rockies, so not all bad. Self isolating in the backcountry may have to do.

Ted Simper
      Roundabout II

• John Mar 15, 2020, 4:23 pm

Hi Ted,

We just got back from two months in Canmore and the snow was fantastic, best we have seen in years, so, as you say, there are worse places to self isolate!

• Richard Elder Mar 19, 2020, 12:49 pm

Hi John
          Great that you enjoyed your Canadian Rocky Mt interlude. Here in Teton County Idaho the Targhee ski area closed a month early with 12 hours notice putting 300+ people out of work and triggering closure of the majority of business in the County. Unemployment went from 5% to 50% overnight in this two-stoplight valley, and the one supermarket was stripped bare in a day. Panic isn’t a pretty sight.

I’m at an age where I expect to be denied treatment should I contact the CORVID19 virus, so my goal is to stay healthy, active & outdoors.

My cruising plans for Alaska and beyond are on suspension like those of so many others. I’m left with the choice to self-isolate here with a large freezer and “work” to keep it stocked with trout and wild game, or head for the Utah canyonlands with my large base camp tent and follow the snowline north, hopefully into Canada during the summer if the border re-opens. So not all choices are bad!

• John Mar 15, 2020, 4:21 pm

Hi James,

Wow, tough choices. Not sure what I would do. We just cut our time in the Canadian Rockies a bit short to get home and get organized, but then we had less to lose by doing so than you do. I guess the two governing variables might be how old you are, and if your travel insurance will cover you if you get really sick in the USA.

• Marc Dacey Mar 18, 2020, 1:38 pm

We are looking at a mid- to late-June crossing to Europe, likely Halifax to St. John’s to Dingle, Ireland, so we are in the same boat, pun intended. Of course, whether we go or not will depend on which places, if any, are accepting visitors arriving after three or so weeks at sea. So you have my sympathies.

• Dick Stevenson Mar 18, 2020, 6:30 pm

Hi Marc,
        Some FYI’s which I believe to be true, but please check out.
        I believe the Azores have closed their harbors to visiting vessels and that anchoring is also not allowed. Iceland is or may be closed shortly. I mention both as they are sometimes considered bail-out destinations for the crossing you are anticipating.
        Dingle was not a port of entry to Ireland a couple of years ago, although its location is perfect for boats coming from the west and wanting to cruise the west coast of Ireland: a not easy coast to get to. Contact me directly for a possible way to use Dingle as a port of entry.
        My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

• Marc Dacey Mar 19, 2020, 7:37 pm

Thanks, Dick. There is, in fact, a wrinkle: https://www.gov.ie/pdf/?file=https://assets.gov.ie/71589/8bf801489bd04bbebd2cd5f81b03e358.pdf#page=1

As for Dingle, I’m just as happy to make for the usual port of Kinsale. A third of the geezers in Cork resemble me: it’s familiar turf. Thanks for the info on the Azores: Portugal is generally not in a good state, and I can’t imagine that wouldn’t include the Azores. I will contact you backchannel for your helpful suggestions, but I suspect the targets will continue to move over the next three months or longer, with implications for the attainability of all adventure cruising.

• Wilson Fitt Mar 21, 2020, 9:36 am

Hi Marc, Dick

I cleared into Ireland at Dingle a few years ago with no formalities other than a phone call and faxing a copy of my passport. However, the world has been upended and all bets are off. I have been planning to sail over again this June to participate in the Cork300 hoo-ha, but that seems to be seriously in doubt now. Might have to find alternate adventures closer to home, here in eastern Canada. Oh well, there are worse fates.

• Dick Stevenson Mar 21, 2020, 9:48 am

Hi Wilson,
            Good to know. When I was there, a US flagged boat needed a well-connected local man to arrange a special check-in. Dick

• Marc Dacey Mar 21, 2020, 11:49 am

Yes, our goal to clear in at Dingle was premised on that “show your passport to the camera” process. It was also premised on visiting a friend whose father’s farm is close to Dingle. But if she can’t fly home, we might as well clear in at Kinsale. Thanks for the memory: I concur that predicting the near future is hardly worth the effort.

• Charles Starke MD Mar 15, 2020, 1:20 pm

Dear John & Phyllis
    Yay! Keep on writing to give us all some sanity and hope for the future. This is the best information in the world. I will renew and spread the word.
    Best wishes and stay healthy.
    Charles & Heather
    Charles L Starke MD FACP
    s/v Dawnpiper

• John Mar 15, 2020, 4:25 pm

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the kind words and the offer to pass the word. Word of mouth is our biggest benefactor.

• Rob Thompson Mar 15, 2020, 10:24 pm

We’ve had to bail out of our new boat build in Thailand and return to Australia to wait out the pandemic before returning, and hopefully find something productive to do towards the build in the meantime……

I’ve been wondering how cruisers might be dealing with border and port closures, and if anyone is getting caught out. What if your cruising permit/visa is expiring and the next country, or countries, closes ports to foreign vessels?

• John Mar 16, 2020, 8:26 am

Hi Rob,

I think that’s a valid concern. Not sure there are really any certain answers except to stock the boat for a long voyage to your country of citizenship which can’t refuse you entry under international law, at least in theory. Pretty daunting thought if say one was in Asia and a UK citizen.

One would hope that the country where the permits were expiring would exercise some restraint and compassion, but on the other hand people and countries do some pretty nasty things when in the grip of xenophobia.

• eric ploumis Mar 15, 2020, 11:20 pm

I live in the middle of Manhattan (hardly a cabin in the woods) but did spend the weekend in semi-self-isolation, prepping my boat bottom in anticipation of an April launch. It isn’t that I wanted to be alone, it is just that it is a lot easier to find buddies to sail with rather than scrape-and-sand with 🙂 Lots of hysteria and paranoia here but the reality is there is plenty of everything (except toilet paper, go figure) and it is a lot easier to get around now that everyone is auto-quarantining.

• Eric Klem Mar 17, 2020, 5:50 pm

Glad to hear that you are continuing business as usual, it sounds like exactly the right thing to do.

Eric

• Mike Corboy Mar 19, 2020, 1:18 am

Hello from Whangarei New Zealand.
    Current events are clogging the marinas here. not at all in a bad way. We are “locals” wishing to get into a berth as the boats by now will have started moving north. Back up the truck!
    Crew cannot get here. Tonga is closed. things are shutting down day by day. Visa issues, customs/tax issues and the like.
    A number of boats are just gonna head out to the islands and hang out for a bit. what else to do?
    We are expecting a daughter back from Canada so she will go into self isolation and we are heading out to the islands and coastal cruising.
    For all the world issues that are here and now, all we can do is “adapt and overcome” . I think life on a yacht in New Zealand is not such a bad place to be. It has, however bought up quite quickly, the issues affecting many people in the global issue.

• John Mar 19, 2020, 8:53 am

Hi Mike,

That’s interesting. Is New Zealand open to extending visas for cruisers who have no where else to go for the duration?

• Rob Gill Mar 24, 2020, 5:25 pm

Hi John, latest info from Immigration NZ:
        “Travellers with a temporary (work, student, visitor, interim and limited) visa expiring before 1 April 2020 who are unable to leave New Zealand must apply online for a new visa. An interim visa will be issued. Travellers with a temporary visa due to expire between 1 April and 9 July 2020 will have their visas extended to late September. Confirmation of extensions will be emailed to all visa holders.”
        So visiting yachts already in the country will be OK to stay – they won’t be able to depart for the Pacific Islands or Australia. NZ is in close “family group” lock-down from tonight NZ time. Everyone to stay home.
        And Coastguard is advertising it doesn’t want people out on the water either, and is requesting (at this stage) no boating as this will increase contact through on-water rescues and pressure on hospitals from accidents. Best to find a marina or bolt-hole in walking distance of a super-market, and stay put for at least the next month. No socialising between boats.
        Br. Rob

• John Mar 25, 2020, 7:23 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the update. Sounds very reasonable, as one would expect from New Zealand. That said not being able to go out on the water will be hard, although I can certainly see the reasoning. I’m hoping that won’t happen here as we are really hoping to use our sliding seat rowing boat in a week or so.

• Iain Dell Mar 19, 2020, 5:04 am

Hi John – after decades in crisis response in both military then humanitarian roles, perhaps the most frequent critical failure is that people and organisations fail to plan or even properly consider the future while the cr@p is still hitting the fan. Ultimately, the test that makes such an overwhelming difference is not so much dealing with the emergency (although I certainly don’t want to belittle the effects) but how we recovered from it. Resilience in societies can only be built on the resilience of individuals so your ‘keep calm and carry on’ attitude is a welcome change from the headless chickens who run around spouting that we’re all doomed. I think that by the very nature of what we do, us sailors are naturally resilient and so are in a good position to display some leadership in this situation among those around us.

Of course there’s a heck of a lot of uncertainty at the moment but the one certainty is that this thing will indeed end. Stuff the fact that I may be in a category vulnerable to COVID-19, my most pressing concern is that my boat is in one country and I’m in another!

• John Mar 19, 2020, 8:52 am

Hi Iain,

Good point on the importance of recovery planning. As to carrying on, it seems that’s the only option, other than being really responsible about social distancing. I feel really fortunate to have something meaningful that I can do from home and at least some income. The people I really feel for are those who work in high contact jobs who have been sent home and now have zero income.

• Mark Wilson Mar 19, 2020, 11:07 am

Hi Iain

I am in the same boat as you. Me in London, the boat in Northern Italy. Clever place to buy a yacht this year.

Until this thread started I was feeling rather sorry for myself. Now I realise we are all in much the same boat. “Only connect”.

Now with a twelve year old daughter, whose school has just closed, I find myself wanting to connect with those voyagers who have sailed with children; both from the home schooling position and from the victualling one. For the latter I reckon that social distancing involves making limited visits to the shops.

We are off to our house overlooking the sea in Hastings, East Sussex. We are blessed by the arrival of the internet and mobile data; perhaps as significant an advance as the industrial revolution. And where we are we can purchase a lot of our protein from the open ended sheds of the Boys on Shore, the fathers of the men who crew the beach launched fishing fleet and who operate the D4’s and winches that launch and retrieve the boats. My wife stays in London and travels every day to her job in the most infected area of the city. She may not be a key worker but she is in charge of the women’s section of one of our national newspapers. Keeping people informed and stopping them behaving idiotically must be important.

I do have an old 28 footer near Hastings and that could become the perfect self isolating option apart from the weather at this particular time, a named storm virtually every weekend since January and the fact I don’t want to put my daughter off sailing for life.

First world problems I know. Virtually everyone of my generation that I know round here has decamped for their boat or their place in the country. We truly are the lucky generation; apart from the fact we are now the most vulnerable. I wonder how history will judge us.

• John Mar 20, 2020, 1:38 pm

Hi Mark,

A lot of wisdom in that comment, thanks.

• Emile Cantin Mar 20, 2020, 7:43 pm

I’m not too worried right now as it’s still winter here in Québec, so there’s not much sailing going on. However, we’re planning to cruise down the ICW to the Bahamas next year (not very “offshore”, I know), and I hope the current situation resolves in time.

Push-off is planned for September so there’s still plenty of time, but I’ve got a lot of work to do before that (upgrading systems & such), hoping that doesn’t get affected as well.

• Jay Remick Mar 21, 2020, 3:23 pm

Coming to the end of winter and with the current situation we feel very fortunate. We tuck ourselves away in our house in the San Francisco South Bay and when the cabin fever starts to set in we go up to the boat in the Bay and spend a few days. I think it is very important to pace ourselves since this Covid-19 situation is not going away anytime soon.
    I thoroughly enjoy reading through your site and picking away articles that I had not read before. I’ll be very well prepared for the next cruise! Thanks for rounding out my day.

• John Mar 22, 2020, 8:35 am

Hi Jay,

That seems like a good attitude. I agree that the likelihood is this is going to take a while to resolve. And thanks for the kind words.

• Drew Frye Mar 23, 2020, 8:03 pm

To me, journalism and writing are two things, along with gaming and internet services, that should be safe. A good read is one of the few things shut-ins can still savor.

The difficulty is going outside for inspiration and content. I was sailing yesterday, taking some needed photos and trolling for ideas, but I guess even that may be restricted at some point. So far infection rates are low in my area and I can go sailing with zero social contact. But I will do whatever is asked.

• John Mar 24, 2020, 2:52 pm

Hi Drew,

In a couple of weeks, when it gets a bit warmer, our sliding seat rowboat will be a great way to get away from all this and get some exercise into the bargain so we are really hoping that the powers that be don’t shut the water down. That said, like you, we will do as requested.

• BENOIT ANTHONIOZ Mar 24, 2020, 12:46 pm

Hi all,
    We were due to leave France to Tunisia where the boat is moored to prepare the next sailing summer, bags ready, full of gear and lists full of tasks.
    Two days before departure, we realized it wouldn’t be possible, we were truly disappointed.
    Now we are more than happy to be contained here in France, the kids came back from their studies places and we are enjoying a feeling of family life that we thought lost for ever.
    It gives me time to read comprehensively AAC articles and that’s a plus also.
    John, don’t worry about me leaving membership, it gives so much for the price !
    Stay safe and make the most of the situation, it will soon be over. I just hope that after we will consider more life, relationships as precious things and less material belongings ?? Actually not certain at all ..

• John Mar 24, 2020, 3:10 pm

Hi Benoit,

What a loverly comment, thank you. I too really hope that this will teach all of us to value the important stuff, particularly the companionship of not just friends (precious though that is), but also the people we all meet fleetingly in the course of daily life.

• Rekka Bellum Mar 25, 2020, 7:10 am

Well, you got a new subscriber here. I’ve been meaning to get an account, because I’m a very green sailor and can stand to learn more. I am in Japan with my boat, and the situation here is stable, but uncertain. I take pride in my capacity to plan ahead, but for the first time in a long time I’m unable to do that? It’s a strange feeling.

Anyway, all this to say that I’m happy to help you continue to do what you do. Cheers.

• John Mar 25, 2020, 7:31 am

Hi Rekka,

Welcome to AAC and thanks very much for joining, much appreciated, particularly since you are one of very few in March.

• Rodney Morris Mar 28, 2020, 8:48 pm

HI John, we met on the docks at Annapolis where I suggested you look at the Maverick 440. Since then Oh! and I have sailed down the Chesapeake to Bermuda, St. Martin, Martinique, the BVI introducing guests to the cruising lifestyle. I am now the Bahamas. It is the perfect time of year to be here and a fabulous location to be sitting out the pandemic. The concern on Oh! is not the pandemic, it is where to go next to get out of the Hurricane zone. There are essentially 3 options, all with significant complications and none are risk free.
    1. Go to the USA – But they could close at any moment and once I get there, then what? The infection rates are growing rapidly and the means to return to Canada tightening by the day. Plus, Canadian travel health insurance is no longer valid in the USA, which could be frightening. The only positive is that the Chesapeake area is the closest out of the hurricane zone option to home, which is Calgary.
    2. Go to the Azores – currently closed but…they are accepting trans-Atlantic yachts on three islands. However, it is not clear if they are only accepting EU flagged vessels. I am currently looking into that. The Azores is currently virus free and probably the most beautiful group of Islands I have had the pleasure of visiting.
    3. Go to Grenada – Not entirely locked down, but heavily restricted entry requirements and many questions remain as to being able to return to Canada. Hopefully, over the next 4 some weeks clarity will emerge for the better. It is a long voyage so it has to start by the end of April to beat the June 1st start of hurricane season.
    All options require ocean passages, and a fairly big commitment without assurances Oh! and I will be welcome at the final destination, or able to return easily to Canada. Since I am Canadian and sailing solo, crew concerns are not relevant. However, they would be for any other yachts, especially with multinational crews and potential visa requirements. Our Canadian passports are golden!

Unfortunately, Nova Scotia is not an option as import fees on Oh! are prohibitive at this time. There is no doubt these types of concerns and others are shared by cruisers all over the world, each with their own twist, or circumstances. To help your subscribers navigate the current restrictions I would recommend
    Then go to their Biosecurity links to see up to date restrictions world wide. A great resource and planning tool for cruisers in the current restrictive environment.
    I enjoyed chatting with you on the docks at Annapolis and thoroughly enjoy the ACC articles, your World Head Quarters look amazing too! Thank you for sharing the photo.
    Yours is the first site I recommend to every cruiser I meet. All the best to you and Phyllis and keep it up!
    Cheers from Oh!
    Rod Morris

• John Mar 29, 2020, 8:55 am

Hi Rod,

First off, thanks very much for the recommendation to visit the Maverick. I spent a very interesting morning aboard, learned a lot and will write about it soon.

Strange in that when I woke up this morning I was thinking of the plight of the many Canadian cruisers, and others, currently in the Bahamas and Caribbean and trying to figure out what to do about the hurricane season. So thanks very much for your thoughtful comment on the problem. I will continue to be thinking of you and others in the same situation as you deal with this. Please come up again when you make a decision.

And thanks for the kind words on the site.