New Subscription (Membership) System—Going For It

Last week I wrote about our new subscription (membership) system.

We have now finished all the preliminary work and tomorrow (Tuesday) is the big day.

Here’s the plan:

• 09:00 Atlantic Daylight Time: we will shut down new subscription and renewal payments. (We want to be really sure no one’s money gets misplaced in all of this.)
  • 11:00 Atlantic Daylight Time: we will take the whole site down.

How long will we be down? We are hoping to be up and running by 18:00 ADT but, to be honest, I’d only give us a 50/50 chance of pulling that off.

So, realistically, we could be down until late Wednesday.

Worst case, if we are not done by that time, we will revert to backup and try again in a few days—always good to have a plan B!

During this, there will be a countdown counter that we will keep updating with our expected downtime remaining.

Let me close on a positive note. For the last two weeks I have been totally immersed in the new system. It’s way cool. That said, it may be a few weeks after cut-over before we have rolled out all of that coolness.

Please Share

8 comments… add one
  • Dick Stevenson Mar 18, 2019, 6:34 pm

Hi Phyllis and John,
    May the internet gods shine on you.
    Dick

• Marc Dacey Mar 18, 2019, 8:57 pm

May Neptune sanction this voyage.

• Marcelo Pires Mar 18, 2019, 9:17 pm

John and all – the best of luck on the roll out. If it does not work, blame the Project Manager. If all goes well praise the sponsor?

Yes,.. being there, got that.?

• Ernest E Vogelsinger Mar 19, 2019, 4:46 am

John, as I got to know you (virtually) I am sure you have planned for most of the uncertainties and have your plans B ready at hand. As a customer I am really curious for all the new “cool stuff” that’s coming about, and as an IT guy I keep my fingers crossed for the transition – I know what you’re talking about from multiple own experience 😉

Good luck, and since Aeolus hasn’t been mentioned until now I beg him to send you only favourable winds 🙂

• John Mar 19, 2019, 8:23 am

Hi Ernest,

To answer your email question, still with WordPress, what is changing is the subscriber system.

As to the cool stuff, for subscribers the App and better presentation of the books, as well as much better account admin.

And for us, way better subscriber admin and much better marketing stuff.

That said, you won’t notice a lot of difference initially, except in the account management area.

• John Mar 19, 2019, 8:37 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the best wishes, much appreciated. Going to be a big day around here.

• Flemming Torp Petersen Mar 21, 2019, 6:00 pm

Dear Phyllis&John!
    Congratulations from Denmark!
    The transition seems to be successful.
    Looking forward to the future with “the New ACC”.
    Best regards Flemming Torp.

• Flemming Torp Petersen Mar 21, 2019, 9:09 pm

Sorry … I understand, I was too optimistic.
      I will restart my “fingers crossed excercise”!