Lewisporte, Newfoundland—A Lot Has Changed in 25 Years

As I mentioned in my article Things Are Different Now, the focus of our 2018 summer cruise is the northeast coast of Newfoundland. Now, I don’t know if the temperatures up here are breaking any records, but I do know that I have never experienced weather this hot during all my years of living on and visiting “The Rock”.

Locals here in Lewisporte, which is located down at the end of a fjord running inland from Notre Dame Bay—an area known for having warmer weather than the rest of Newfoundland—are saying that they don’t ever remember such a long string of hot days.To continue reading, please login (top right) or join us.

Please Share

Phyllis

Phyllis has sailed over 40,000 offshore miles with John on their McCurdy & Rhodes 56, Morgan's Cloud, most of it in the high latitudes, and has crossed the Atlantic three times. As a woman who came to sailing as an adult, she brings a fresh perspective to cruising, which has helped her communicate what they do in an approachable way, first in yachting magazines and, for the last 12 years, as co-editor/publisher of AAC.

6 comments… add one
  • Hans Aug 18, 2018, 10:02 am

Hi Phyllis,
    I’m one of the cruisers you recommended Lewisporte to as a place for overwintering and I did. It indeed is a place with just about everything material a cruising sailor could wish for. But one cannot overemphasize the friendlyness and helpfulness of the people at the marina and club. Really great folks there !
    Btw.: The Notre Dame Bay Cruising Guide of which I have a treasured copy, was put together with Capt. Peter Watkins as the driving force and main contributor. Peter is former fleet captain of the Lewisporte Yacht Club and still around at the LYC to make visting cruisers welcome. His guide book ist still worth having, as you suggest.

Thank you for bringing back nice memories !

• Dick Stevenson Aug 18, 2018, 6:54 pm

Hi Phyllis,
    Nice report and I fully concur with all you say. Alchemy over-wintered there last winter and was very well taken care of by Brian and his crew. Peter and Caroline (with others) took very good care of Ginger and me.
    All bases were covered.
    My best, Dick Stevenson, s/v Alchemy

• Mike Evans Aug 19, 2018, 12:13 pm

We may bring Loon’s Lace our new boat out to Lewisporte in 2019. We’d spent three great seasons in and around there on Phantasia.

• Dick Stevenson Aug 19, 2018, 2:46 pm

Hi Mike, It would be good to cross paths again. Our plan is to over-winter in Lewisporte again in 2019. Dick

• Ty Snow Sep 1, 2018, 12:04 pm

I was so excited whan I saw the title & heading of this article “Lewisport Newfoundland” It is about a 30 minute drive from where I grew up (Gander). Unfortunately, I don’t own a boat right now, but plan to purchase one soon. I currently live on the east coast of Newfoundland in Conception Bay and when I do get my boat, a visit to the Lewisport Marina is a must. I’ve heard a lot of good comments about this marina from other Newfoundlanders as well. They have put a lot of effort into making this an outstanding facility.

Ty…

• John Sep 2, 2018, 6:51 am

Hi Ty,

Yes, they have done a great job at Lewisporte. You will enjoy your visit. Also the surrounding cruising grounds are some of the best in Newfoundland…or anywhere for that matter.

Member Login