• Robert Dec 22, 2016, 4:48 pm

Thank you for all the time you put into the site over the course of the year. It is a wonderfully rare source of reliable and well thought out information that is much appreciated by many. May you have a safe and merry Christmas!

• Marc Dacey Dec 22, 2016, 10:19 pm

Thank you, John. I’ve just received some sad news, and this lifted my spirits somewhat. You’ve got an excellent eye.

• John Dec 23, 2016, 9:29 am

Hi Marc,

Glad it was cheering and sorry for you sad news, and thanks for your unflagging support all year.

• Bob N Dec 23, 2016, 10:15 am

Great photos. And informative. Thanks. Have a triffic and healthy ’17.

• Prentiss Berry Dec 23, 2016, 11:43 am

Thanks for the site and the photos. The articles have opened my mind to different views and have been quite educational for me. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and that the coming year will be very rewarding.

• Charles L Starke Dec 24, 2016, 11:34 am

Dear John & Phyllis
    Happy holidays to you too!
    The rowing Whitehall is gorgeous! Who made it and where can I get one?
    I hope you are well and that next year is even better!
    Best wishes,
    Charles & Heather

• John Dec 24, 2016, 11:40 am

Hi Charles,

Here you go: http://whitehallsolo.com/tango-17/

We are very happy with our boat. I will probably write a post about her at some time.

• Carl Edvard Reinertsen Dec 28, 2016, 4:29 am

Dear John and Phyllis
    Happy Holidays to you!
    And thanks a lot for your Christmas cards.
    If you allow me to make a question about these cards, a have one regarding card #1;
    These rowing boats moored to the floatind dock, what do you call them in english (canadian)? You see, I more or less grew up in a boat like that in my early years in Lofoten.
    Best wishes,
    Carl Edvard

• John Dec 28, 2016, 4:56 pm

Hi Carl Edvard,

In North America they are call dories. The ones in the photo where built here in Lunenburg. Originally they were carried by “banker” schooners to set tub trawls (long lines) on the Grand Banks for cod. I too remember seeing very similar boats in Lofoten when we cruised there.