We’re Out For A Good Time, Not A Long Time

Those of you who follow this site will know from a previous post that we have been dealing with a health issue. In fact, John was feeling so sick this past winter that we even explored putting Morgan’s Cloud up for sale.

However, things are looking up. After a lot of “two steps forward, one (sometimes three) steps back”, it seems that the problem has finally been resolved, to the point that John is feeling well enough to handle Morgan’s Cloud again. And so I am writing this while anchored in the LaHave Islands, Nova Scotia.

Being as we are only starting this cruise at the end of August, it won’t be a long one, or an especially adventurous one (though we have already done a bit of local sort-of-off-the-charts gunkholing).

It sure does feel good to be back on board.

Enjoyed this article? Please share:

Phyllis has sailed over 40,000 offshore miles with John on their McCurdy & Rhodes 56, Morgan's Cloud, most of it in the high latitudes, and has crossed the Atlantic three times. As a woman who came to sailing as an adult, she brings a fresh perspective to cruising, which has helped her communicate what they do in an approachable way, first in yachting magazines and, for the last 12 years, as co-editor/publisher of AAC.

Members, login to comment. Not a member? Join Today

• Ernest Vogelsinger Sep 18, 2016, 1:06 pm

Hey Phyllis and John,

glad to read you’re back on board and still going strong. Enjoy your time on the water as we all are enjoying your posts and wisdom – I am always learning a lot for the time to come when I will have my own boat to care for…

Best wishes, Ernest

• Lou Sep 18, 2016, 2:01 pm

SO pleased!
    And anyhow, remember it’s quality, not quantity 🙂

• Richard Isted Sep 18, 2016, 7:01 pm

Feel better John

• Dick Stevenson Sep 19, 2016, 2:49 am

Hi John & Phyllis,
    Just an FYI: I clicked on the ” Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting” box (there are 2 of the box/sentences, it is duplicated) and the screen went to an error page saying that I needed to write a comment.

• John Sep 19, 2016, 8:47 am

Thanks Dick, should be fixed now.

• pat synge Sep 19, 2016, 5:19 am

I’m glad to hear you are feeling well enough to go sailing again, John.
    I note that in the photo you appear to be wearing acupressure wrist bands. Do you find them at all effective ?
    Regards, Pat

• Dick Stevenson Sep 19, 2016, 5:32 am

Just received Pat’s comment to my email acct. so that is working. Dick

• Pat McDonnell Sep 19, 2016, 1:32 pm

Dick, the only reason it is working is that you commented above. I tried just before writing this and also got the error message.

• John Sep 19, 2016, 4:40 pm

Hi Pat,

It seems to be working for me. Please try refreshing your browser window, or clearing the browser cache. Sorry for the problems. The plugin author keeps upgrading it and breaking stuff in the process.

• Ed Finn Sep 19, 2016, 7:29 am

John and Phylis
    Good to see you are out there having fun.
    I think it will make you healthier.
    Be well have fun, have fun be well…
    Its a two headed coin.
    All the best
    Ed Finn

• John Chisropher Sep 19, 2016, 8:25 am

Happy to hear you are feeling better and out doing what you love.

• Paul Winn Sep 19, 2016, 8:53 am

As a 53-year-old (with a much younger partner) who for the last 4 years has been working and living on-board a near complete 50′ steel cutter , I’d like to thank you for your immeasurably helpful website over the last 2 years of on again, off again subscription.

You have given so many helpful suggestions and invaluable incites that have never belittled or dispirited but always encouraged.

It has been quite a ride for me and mine and over the many immensely helpful posts and e-books and I imagine it has been for you too. You have been an huge contributor to my understanding of the complexity of yachting and hope that you will continue to do so, regardless of whether you are on the land or the sea.

I often sympathise with the modern aging salt moldering away, seemingly no longer necessary to less experienced sailors and boat builders in the age of internet forums. But even with the internet age allowing us access, at our fingertips, to the corpus of human’s knowledge, we are still indebted to those few salts willing to reveal the innermost workings of a seaman’s mind and soul. Without people like yourselves, the internet would be mostly meaningless drivel, and not the engaging, thoughtful, and always entertaining experince it has been, for me at least.

For this, I will be ever grateful and hope that moldering away is never an option for John and Phillis, regardless of where you may be.

Thanks again, and I hope to learn a great deal more from you both.

Warm regards

Paul Winn
    Newcastle, Australia.

• Marc Dacey Sep 19, 2016, 10:19 am

Paul’s comment is excellent and reflects my own feelings…right down to the age, the steel boat and the younger wife, oddly enough! Get well via sailing, John.

• John Sep 19, 2016, 12:42 pm

Hi Paul,

Wow, that made our day…no wait, that made our whole month! Thank you so much. It’s an AAC work-day on “Morgan’s Cloud” and your comment inspires us to do the very best we can.

• Richard Dykiel Sep 19, 2016, 10:29 am

Fair winds and quiet anchorages!

• Daniel Sep 19, 2016, 12:20 pm

wishing a full and speedy recovery!

Best, Daniel

• John Sep 19, 2016, 12:47 pm

Hi All,

Thanks very much for all the kind wishes, much appreciated.

• Drew Frye Sep 19, 2016, 2:03 pm

That’s very nice to hear.

I once proposed an accessibility article and was put off, until I made the case for just how many sailors face aging at some point. All of us, basically.

• Art Watson Sep 19, 2016, 4:34 pm

Although I consider myself a very faithful reader, I was totally unaware of these health issues, and if you were seriously considering selling the boat they must have been serious issues indeed (don’t ask me how I know)!

Extremely glad that things are going better, and extremely relieved to hear that we all won’t be denied our regular AAC “fix!”

Art Watson
    Washington, DC

• Rob Gill Sep 19, 2016, 5:36 pm

Hi Phyllis and John,
    May I add our best wishes (to Paul’s lovely testimony) for a well deserved cruise as your season ends and our begins with meeting a Yachting NZ safety inspector this afternoon. Yachting NZ have a comprehensive and strictly controlled Cat 1 certification process for all vessels departing NZ (mostly geared to NZ vessels, but also covers foreign vessels that have arrived here but are deemed “un-seaworthy” at departure) and without which (a Cat 1 certificate) you are unable to clear customs.
    We are well into a 2 year readiness project for a 6 month South Pacific cruise and looking through the safety requirements document – you can see it here: (http://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/sites/yachtingnz/files/YNZ%20Safety%20Regulations%201316%20FINAL%20Revised.pdf), I have some questions of interpretation for the inspector, but no fears that I won’t have reasoned responses and processes for most things from engine maintenance and spares, to storm tactics, series drogue and bridle attachment points. Without you guys, all the other Attainable Adventure Cruising correspondents and the incredibly knowledgeable members, we would not be this prepared.
    Kind regards,
    Rob and Jenny

• John Sep 20, 2016, 9:03 am

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the kind words and enjoy your voyage. It’s great to know that we are actually helping people get out there.

• Serge Paul Sep 19, 2016, 8:52 pm

Glad you feel better, whish you two all the best.

• Eric Klem Sep 20, 2016, 1:22 pm

Have a great cruise, I am glad to hear that the health issue is looking up.

• Westbrook Murphy Sep 21, 2016, 8:40 pm

Great photo ! Glad to see John back where he belongs. So much more rewarding than dealing with the OCC FB page.

• John Sep 22, 2016, 8:55 pm

Hi Westbrook,

Now there’s a great truth!

Please login, otherwise your comment won't display.