Wow, AAC is actually becoming a real company rather than just a hobby that got badly out of control.
We are looking for one person, or possibly more that one, to sell advertising on the site. The position is strictly commission based and you will be a private contractor rather than an employee, but the commission is generous and continues for as long as the client continues to advertise.
This is not by any stretch of the imagination a full time job, but will provide a supplemental income for the right person, hopefully a cruiser or someone aspiring to be one.
We will consider you for this position if you:
- Have a proven sales track record—sales is a lot harder than most people who have never tried it think.
- Ideally, have experience and contacts in the marine industry—being a customer might work for this.
- Can make rain. In other words, you will need to get out there and find clients and close-‘em. Sitting around waiting for the e-mail to ring isn’t going to cut it.
- Have a basic understanding of invoicing and accounts receivable management. This is a polite way of saying that you gotta get the money too. So far our clients have been great payers, so this is not as onerous as it can be.
- Are a reader of AAC who clearly understands what we do.
Ideally, one person will be able to fill these shoes, but another option would be two or more people in different exclusive territories: Europe, North America, etc.
What You Need to Do
If you are interested, take a look at our new sponsorship area, so that you understand the product, and then use our contact form to indicate your interest. We will email you back and then you can “tell us why you’re great”. (My marketing manager at my computer company used to start all employee interviews with that line. Now you know why he was in marketing and not sales: no people skills!)
Please don’t just send us a standard résumé—although that will help—we are much more interested in why you think you will be able to sell companies on sponsoring this site. In other words, prove you can sell, by selling yourself to us. Oh oh, that didn’t sound good, but you know what I mean.