Someone Must Do It

Warwick Long Bay, Bermuda.

Warwick Long Bay, Bermuda.

The photo above is of AAC’s temporary corporate offices for the next few days. Hum, may be a bit slow to respond to comments! Of course there is one fly in the ointment.

Even though I grew up and lived longer in Bermuda than anywhere else, the sheer beauty of the place always takes me by surprise when I visit.

Yes, the sand really is pink.

Yes, the sand really is pink.

And the water really is turquoise.

And the water really is turquoise.

Enjoyed this article? Please share:

Members, login to comment. Not a member? Join Today

• Victor Raymond Sep 10, 2013, 11:33 am

We (Judy and I) had the good fortune to visit 30 plus years ago. It was a delight and would love to go back (by boat of course.)
    Enjoy your time there. Hope you brought your shorts and jacket.

• John Sep 11, 2013, 11:02 am

Hi Victor,

Shorts, but no jacket. Bermuda has got much less formal in recent years.

• Marc Dacey Sep 10, 2013, 1:15 pm

The closest I’ve come to your birthplace is seeing the loom of its lights about 35 NM to the northeast as we turned in a half-gale south for the USVIs out of Virginia. It was deemed too rough to stop in, and upon reflection, it was a good call.

Nonetheless, it looks like an interesting place to be from. Certainly a nice spot to have a “temporary corporate office”, especially with good weather and a measure of the local Gosling’s at hand. Speaking of which, as a barstool dialectitian, I’d love to hear if your speaking voice hews to a modified British accent (I’ve heard Bermudan sound a touch Cornish) or the almost American accent I was hearing from clearly younger Bermudans over the SSB.

• John Sep 11, 2013, 11:01 am

Hi Marc,

My accent can best be described as Trans-Atlantic-Mongrel.

• Bob Morris Sep 11, 2013, 10:35 am

Ann and I were married in St Georges in 1979 after a Marion Bermuda Race. For several years we would return for anniversaries. Now we usually visit when ducking some bad weather en route to/from Cape Cod to Caribbean. We should return when we are not apprehensively looking for a weather window to leave.

• Peter McCrea Sep 11, 2013, 11:50 am

When in St Georges, stop in and say hello to Steve Hollis, the owner of Ocean Sails and the new Ocean Cruising Club Port Officer for Bermuda.

• John Sep 11, 2013, 12:38 pm

Hi Peter,

I know Steve well, in fact we worked together for 5 years back when I owned Ocean Sails, before he took it over from me some 35 years ago.

• Ben Eriksen Carey Sep 11, 2013, 6:35 pm

Bermuda is the first place outside the USA that my parents took me. It was a business trip for Dad, recruiting students for the boarding school of which he was headmaster. But, I remember the turquoise water and the big jellyfish on the beach fondly. I’ve since sailed in a few times, and it remains one of my favorite stops. I love riding the bus all around the island. One time I missed the last bus back to St George and figured I’d just sleep in the park in Hamilton. I wandered into a pub, to watch a band play and widdle away the night. A woman saw me, called me over, and asked if I was a couch surfer. With the loud music, I could barely make out what she said. My reply: No I’m not a surfer, I’m here on a sailboat. We spent the next few minutes yelling in each others ears sorting out when, where and why. In the end, I spent the night on her couch, and learned what couch surfing was all about. Always a good adventure to be had in Bermuda.

• john dennis Sep 23, 2013, 9:24 pm

Hi Folks,
    Just had my 9th visit to Bermuda under sail. Caught up with Bernie Oatly, John Moore ,John Barker and all.
    By the way Herb [Southbound ll] said we were his last contact as we sailed to Nova Scotia and on to P.E.I.
    Best to all

Please login, otherwise your comment won't display.