The Death of Google Reader

This post only applies to the few hundred of our readers who rely on Google Reader for notifications when we publish new content here at AAC. Those of you who receive an email when we post need read no further.

As most of you know by now, Google announced the end of Google Reader on Friday. Not sure of the scenario, but I imagine something like this. Larry speaking:

For crying out loud Sergei, pull the plug already and let’s go get a beer.

Be that as it may, as a fellow Google Reader user, I had to figure out what to do too, so I thought I would share:

The Most Reliable Option

If you want to be absolutely sure you don’t miss any of our posts, the best bet is to subscribe to our email feed. That way, if another feed reader provider has a sudden urge to simplify his or her life, like Larry did, you won’t have to worry because you can be dead sure that we at AAC will do whatever it takes to make sure you get our email notifications.

(Here is our privacy policy, but the short version is we won’t deluge you with junk and you can unsubscribe at any time.)

Sticking With RSS Feeds

If, on the other hand, you would like to stick with our RSS feed, then you need a new reader. I tried several yesterday, many of which, let’s see if I can put this kindly…sucked. After several frustrating interactions with products that are much more about sizzle than sausage, I found Feedly.

Not only is it way cool, it works like Google Reader, only prettier, and if you log on with your Google user codes it will magically suck up all your old feeds. It’s also available for most hand held devices.

Enjoyed this article? Please share:

Members, login to comment. Not a member? Join Today

• Charles Mar 16, 2013, 9:52 pm

I got hit by the Google Reader retirement, too. I tried, I really tried to like Feedly but the interface is not to my liking. Have a look at theoldreader.com

Their servers are choked with the flood of new users from Google Reader, though, so it may be a while before it settles down.

• Morgan Henry Mar 17, 2013, 1:40 am

Give Flipboard a try – great for aggragating RSS.

• John Mar 17, 2013, 8:52 am

Hi Morgan and Charles,

I guess this is a classic each to their own case: I hated Flipboard and really like Feedly. Also Feedly seems to have robust enough servers to pick up the load, which is encouraging. Three others I tried were grinding or crashing.

• Jon T Mar 17, 2013, 10:15 am

I am probably not alone in loving the App ‘Reeder’, on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. It uses google reader of course.

My thought is that as Google isn’t turning off until July, I might be justified in being hopeful that the chaps from Reeder will have come up with their own solution by then.

I read somewhere that Google gets far more traffic from Reader than it does from google+. Which makes one wonder what they are up to?

• Richard William Lord Mar 17, 2013, 9:47 pm

Huhhh..?? Feedly, Flipboard, Reader..?? What tha heck are you guys talkin’ about..?? I just wanna sail far away— or read about those who are..

Please keep it simple.. And don’t lose me in the shuffle..

• John Mar 18, 2013, 7:45 am

Hi Richard,

Not to worry, this post was only for the gadget freaks—who me? Your point about the real goal here is well made…and taken.

• Bob Mar 17, 2013, 10:28 pm

John, I use “Pulse” on my Kindle fire to follow my favorite blogs. This allows me to easily scan all of the blogs I follow for updates at a glance. Oddly, for some reason your site does not open properly since you changed your format, bit I can easily open your site in a browser from this app.

• John Mar 18, 2013, 7:46 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I need to work on the elegance of our feed when displayed in some readers.

Please login, otherwise your comment won't display.