Alpenglow Lights

Before spending the winter in Arctic Norway, knowing we would be spending a lot of time below on the boat during the winter darktime, we replaced our old dim, inefficient overhead lights with Alpenglow fluorescents. What a difference! They give off a warm natural light and are beautifully designed and built. Not cheap but worth it.

Please Share

Phyllis

Phyllis has sailed over 40,000 offshore miles with John on their McCurdy & Rhodes 56, Morgan's Cloud, most of it in the high latitudes, and has crossed the Atlantic three times. As a woman who came to sailing as an adult, she brings a fresh perspective to cruising, which has helped her communicate what they do in an approachable way, first in yachting magazines and, for the last 12 years, as co-editor/publisher of AAC.

7 comments… add one
  • Dick Stevenson May 10, 2011, 1:46 pm

I could not agree more about Alpenglow. Great lights and worth the price for longevity, versatility, customer service and looks.

• Jim R. Feb 20, 2016, 2:33 pm

Are you still using these for interior lighting? Do you have any recommendations for LED interior lighting?

• John Feb 21, 2016, 9:14 am

Hi Jim,

Yes, still using the Alpenglow lights and two years ago we bought a bunch more of their new lights that use LEDs and are equally happy. Great product.

• Marc Dacey Feb 23, 2016, 2:49 pm

Same here, although we are on the original version. While I prefer LED “warm white” for spotlights, the Alpenglow lights up the whole pilothouse and the red/night setting is excellent for non-disruptive work.

• Nick Kats Feb 21, 2016, 4:35 pm

Have 4 Alpenglow fluorescent overheads & 4 LED wall lamps, installed a few years ago. All very good looking. The fluorescents are trouble free. But I have had problems with two of the four LEDs – crappy diodes (?) twice & switches not working twice.

• John Feb 22, 2016, 9:50 am

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the info. Sounds to me like Alpenglow had a bad batch of components. Did they respond well and fix the problem?

• Nick Kats Feb 24, 2016, 12:08 pm

I asked Alpenglow about this. Problem is I’m in Ireland. I agreed with them that shipping was too high & to fix these here at my expense. BTW this purchase was more like 7 yrs ago. Alpenglow might have fixed this problem since then.