Holiday (Vacation) Photographs

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERAWe’re baaaack! AAC seems to have survived being hove-to for a week, I’m pleased to say. Here are some photographs to look at while we let-draw and trim the sheets.

The first part of the slideshow continues my fascination with commercial fishing and is photographs I made of two lobstermen having their boat hauled at Billings Diesel and Marine after getting the bad news that their boat’s engine would need a complete rebuild right in the middle of the best part of the lobster season. You can see the resignation on their faces, but there was no ranting or raving. You can’t be a cry-baby and a commercial fisherman. I will try and learn from them, the next time something breaks on my boat.

The second part of the slideshow that I made at St. Andrews-By-The-Sea shows the easy life lead by us holiday-makers (vacationers)—a pretty stark contrast.

Slideshow

• The slideshow does NOT advance automatically.
  • Control the slideshow with the strip below images or the arrow keys after clicking on it.
  • Click on the first picture to enlarge the show.

Slideshow requires a reasonably up to date copy of the Adobe Flash plug-in or iPhone/iPad or Android and that java script be enabled.

Comments

I will have to live with them for a while to be sure, but it seems—to me anyway, which is all that matters—like I created two portfolio quality images last week, which is gratifying considering that I only had the camera in my hands for a total of two hours or so and I consider myself fortunate to get 10 to 20 images a year that so qualify. If you have nothing more pressing, see if you can guess which images they are and leave a comment.

• Steve Guy July 30, 2013, 10:02 am

John, instead of “heaved to” wouldn’t “hove to” be correct? :-)

Nice photos. I would give the nod to Tide Ebbing and Lone Walker or, perhaps, Waiting.

…Steve Guy.

• John July 30, 2013, 11:12 am

Hi Steve,

I think you may be right on “Hove To”. I have changed it. Thanks for the photo suggestions, it’s always fascinating to see what others like. I will reveal my choices for portfolio quality in a few days.

• richard s. July 30, 2013, 12:49 pm

how did you find morgan’s cloud ? maybe a little dusty ? also, what if any measures have you taken for keeping her engine up to snuff during this idle time ? interesting photos

richard s., tampa bay, s/v lakota

• John July 30, 2013, 2:08 pm

Hi Richard,

Not dusty, the boatyard drape the boats being stored with plastic.

On the engine, no special precautions, other than the standard things we do in a normal layup: clean fluids, flush all salt, winterize. While we were there, I turned the engine and generator over with the starter motors to distribute a bit of oil around.

This is the third time in the 22 years we have owned MC that we have skipped a season and had her laid up for 18 months. No problems the other two times.

• richard s. July 30, 2013, 8:45 pm

when you crank the engine like that i suppose you knip open the cylinders to prevent it from starting ? or maybe you just pulse the starter a few times ? thanks

richard s., tampa bay, s/v lakota

• John July 31, 2013, 8:43 am

Hi Richard,

We have a push button switch directly wired to the starter solenoid on both engine and generator so that we can turn them over with the fuel solenoid closed so they won’t start. We do this to pre-lube them any time they have not been run for more than seven days. One thing you do have to be careful of is not to turn the engine over for too long in that way as you can, if the boat is in the water, fill the exhaust water separator and flood the engine with salt water.

• Stephen Sheppard July 31, 2013, 6:51 pm

Hi John, “Bummer” does it for me. The piercing, anguished eyes of the lobsterman I find a powerful, haunting image. Well done!
    Cheers,