When bad luck strikes….

I’m sure that all of you, our friends and readers, will be greatly saddened to hear that John had a fall while out hiking in Newfoundland and, as a result, has suffered a broken femur. He is being well cared for, and is in good spirits.

Naturally this will cause some upheavals in the AAC schedule until he is at least back home and resting up. But those of you who have met him, or are regular readers of this site will know that he won’t let a little thing like this get in the way of his ideas or output – in fact it’s likely to increase them!  Normal service will soon be resumed, but in the meantime we’d ask that you bear with us for a while.

In the meantime, I’m sure you’ll join me in sending all of our thoughts and best wishes to John and Phyllis, and wish him a swift recovery from this painful setback. We’ll keep you updated on his progress as soon as we have more information.

Kindest regards

Colin

• Ron November 5, 2012, 11:21 am

It seems this is the year for set backs. We were to head south from Delaware Oct 1 but my wife hurt her knee. The MRI showed something bad that needed a biopsy. All is well though and we were going to leave end of Oct, then Sandy hit and delayed us again. Very sorry to hear about John. Our prayers are with you both during this trying time.
    Best regards for a speedy recovery,
    Ron & Terry

• David November 5, 2012, 1:05 pm

Very sorry for the painful setback. Here’s to a fast and full recovery.
    David & Elena

• Svein Lamark November 5, 2012, 2:06 pm

Hi John!
    You have fixed the donation system. It works fine. You can just take some more pain killers and relax. To my sailor brothers: Pick up your credit card and go on!
    Best wishes
    Svein

• Jacques Landry November 6, 2012, 11:31 am

John and Phyllis.

I wish you both a quick and full recovery! I know only John was hurt but I guess Phyllis will share some of the pain! As others have said, we are waiting for the enlightening article about “Living aboard with a cast”, or “The dangers of leaving the boat”.

Keep the spirit, and be happy as you fulfilled most of what’s important, except “Keep the crew on the boat”. Hum, probably not what you meant !

Jacques

• Gary Ramos November 6, 2012, 6:16 pm

I was saddened to hear of your fall, I hope you have a speedy recovery.
    Gary

• RDE November 6, 2012, 11:20 pm

Hope you are at the point where recovery is underway, and a good book would be welcome! “Rowing to Latitude” by Jill Fredston — North Point Press
    Richard

• David November 6, 2012, 11:54 pm

Speedy recovery.

Your story made CBC new out of Halifax on Sunday. Hard way to beocme famous.

Cheers
    David

• Nicolas November 7, 2012, 9:32 am

A speedy recovery John. I hope the fracture is not complicated.

• Lyndon November 7, 2012, 2:02 pm

Sorry to hear that the rock got the better of you. All the best for a speedy recovery and getting back into action again.

• pedr turner November 13, 2012, 7:24 am

John and Phyllis
    So sorry to hear of the fall.
    Hoping you have a speedy recovery

• John November 19, 2012, 8:17 am

Hi All,

I just read through the comments to this post for the first time–too drugged when it first went out.

All I can say is a huge thank you for all the good wishes, I’m overwhelmed and a bit teared-up.

One of the biggest reasons that we run this site is the sense of community that it brings us. Seeing so many familiar names reinforces that.