A Plea For Help

My spotty memory has struck again! The two products I describe below work great and I want to replace them (or order more) but the details have escaped me.

Dish Drainer

Now, this sounds like a trivial thing but you don’t know the trouble I’ve seen because of it! Our galley sink is old and very small (and no longer made—another huge pain to come!), so finding a drainer that will fit is almost impossible. And, when I have found one to fit, it’s either so small it’ll crash around at sea, or it’s totally impractical. Our old one is the perfect size and extremely well designed to hold just the right amount of the right kind of stuff. Unfortunately, it’s falling apart and I can’t remember where I bought it or who the manufacturer is.

Bunk Mildew Control Product

A number of years ago, at the London Boatshow, John and I found this great dry bunk product. It came in a big piece, which we cut to fit our bunk, and it has kept our mattress dry for 12 years. Added to that, it is still in great shape after all this time.

I’d love to put this product under our other bunks too but this is where I get to the problem: I can’t remember the name it came under or the manufacturer. And, despite a lot of time spent trolling the internet, I haven’t been able to track it down. (Hypervent is close but it only has fabric on one side.)

Thank You!

If anyone has any information on either of these items, I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Please put me out of my misery and leave a comment.

{ 18 comments… add one }

  • Thierry March 3, 2012, 11:58 am

    The dry-bunk stuff was called Ventair. I bought it in the US in 2004. Nothing recent shows up on the internet, and the old web address that I have redirects to a totally different site. Pitty, it was a good product.


  • Daniel March 3, 2012, 3:00 pm

    I use the same stuff under all bunks on my boat, and also in some recessed stowing place. You’ll find it here: http://www.20mat.it/
    (they sell also online, perhaps they can ship it to Usa. It’s an Italian Company)

  • Richard Graver March 3, 2012, 4:05 pm

    Take a look at the product at the link below. Scroll to the bottom. Looks like the one you have. Out of stock but they can probably get you info or order for you. Best of Luck.

  • Pete & Kareen Worrell March 4, 2012, 8:54 am

    Morning Phyllis and John:

    We use a dish drainer which bottom is similar to the one you have a photo of, but it folds and unfolds like a suitcase. Fold it and stow it away. Unfold it, and you can place it either in the sink like your pic (our sink isn’t big enough) or on the counter by the sink. By unfolding it catches the draining water which after you unload the dishes you tip out and fold up before stowing. The first one we got in a Dollar Store in Mahone Bay, NS and when we wanted to give one away to someone who spotted ours, we found one at a West Marine in Southwest Harbor, ME.
    West Marine now calls it the GALLEYWARE “Suitcase” Dish Rack. Model # 4850087 | Manuf. # 4604 .

    It’s the little things isn’t it?

    Kareen & Pete Worrell

  • David Nutt March 4, 2012, 9:01 am

    Friends of ours have used HyperVent with no problems. We will put it on some of the bunks on Danza before heading to Labrador and Baffin Island as moisture was a real issue on our last trip to Greenland.

  • Jim Cleary March 4, 2012, 10:14 am

    Defender Industries in Connecticut carries the Dry Bunk. 1-800-628-8225

  • Phyllis March 4, 2012, 10:26 am

    Hello, all; You are totally and completely amazing! Richard and Daniel you hit the nails on their heads–thank you. I’ll follow up on those leads.

    And thank you to the rest for your great suggestions. It’s good to know there is a solution to my memory loss: just ask AAC readers!

    I realize I shouldn’t have used the term Dry Bunk (sorry for the confusion) as that refers to a specific condensation blotting product, which we found doesn’t work as well as the Hydro20Mat (HypoVent is very close) as it lifts the mattress up allowing air circulation.

  • Phyllis March 5, 2012, 10:47 am

    It seems that Hypervent (fabric on one side), Dryweave (no fabric), and Hydro20Mat (fabric on both sides) all work on the same principle of lifting the mattress up on a woven product to allow air circulation. I’m sure they would all work very well, so which we get will depend on availability. Thanks for the info, everyone.

  • Lisa K March 29, 2012, 4:16 pm

    Were you able to get that dish drainer? I’ve left a couple messages to no avail. Thanks! Lisa

    • Phyllis March 30, 2012, 11:43 am

      Hi, Lisa; Sadly, the drainer is no longer being manufactured. I managed to get that much information from the retailer but when I asked them who the manufacturer had been to see if I could track down some leftover drainers, they stopped answering! Sigh!

  • rattus April 13, 2012, 11:26 pm

    You could use a foundation drainage product called Enkadrain for the mattress ventilation – your product looks identical. As a “marine” product, it probably costs 20x as much, though 😉

    Last time I checked, Enkadrain was well < $2/ft2.

  • rattus April 13, 2012, 11:29 pm

    Followup – looks like the material *is* Enkadrain.

    Here’s a UK link:

    Hope this helps!

    • Phyllis April 18, 2012, 10:40 am

      You are right. Enkadrain looks exactly like the stuff we have. Thank you very much for the info and for the link. Will follow up with them. Appreciate the help! Phyllis

  • RDE April 18, 2012, 1:34 pm

    I use a bi-density foam mattress from IKEA which is a great product. But more relevant to the moisture problem that people are addressing with open cell underlayments is the IKEA wood slat interspring system consisting of slightly bowed laminated birch slats. It is as comfortable as an interspring mattress, allows great airflow, and costs much less than custom boat mattresses. I’ve incorporated it into two master stateroom designs and see no reason why it could not be retrofitted into any reasonably rectangular bunk space.

  • rattus April 28, 2012, 12:32 am

    Got a quote from a distributor recently – the US price is $0.61/ft2 when purchased as a 1m wide x 100 foot roll (nice mix of measurement systems…) for the type that has fabric on one side.

  • Skip Hawk October 25, 2012, 12:54 pm

    There’s also a product called Gerri’s Dry Bunk that I think is the same thing you’re talking about. Works great, and is widely available online.

    • John October 25, 2012, 4:07 pm

      Thanks, Skip, we are all set now.


Leave a Comment

YOU ARE NOT LOGGED IN. Please login (scroll up and look in sidebar), otherwise your comment won't display.

Not a member?

Please read our Comment Guidelines before you comment.
If your comment does not display immediately, please contact us
Your e-mail address will not be displayed and we will not send you junk mail.

Get your own avatar like ours.