UUPlus—E-mail Server

The UUPlus software and server substantially reduce the time it takes to send and receive e-mail via cell or satellite phone. At $35/month it’s not cheap but it saves a fortune in download time and makes good sense if you have a fairly high volume of e-mails.

• Tony Price January 23, 2011, 1:27 am

UUPlus is a fantastic service which I and several of my techy friends have found invaluable. I used it for six months while sailing in Fiji and managed to run my business on it. Not only does it compress emails, it also does not resend email threads but simply appends them at each end as they already have them. Also they use a Iridium phone number so you get your data connection minutes at half normal price. Service via email request was incredible and very friendly. It works just as well via a cellular connection or other slow internet connection. Highly recommended.

• Hans February 4, 2012, 9:56 am

When I bought my Iridium sat phone last spring (2011) it came with a software for E-Mail handling that is called “onsatmail personal”. Or rather, I had to download it from their site http://www.onsatmail.com and it was, and still is, free. I’m pretty sure that it is UUplus, as several files that are contained in the package are named so. And it works just as John and Tony describe UUplus. Do you still pay 35$/month, John ?

• John February 4, 2012, 10:57 am

Hi Hans,

I think that when you actually come to use the software you have downloaded that you will find that although the software is free (just as it is on the UUPlus site) that to make it work really efficiently you will need to subscribe to the UUplus service at $35.00/month. The reason is that what makes UUplus so efficient is that it compresses the files both ways: when sent to you and when you send. So the server must unpack (decompress) the file that you send, and vice versa.

Let us know if that’s wrong.

• Hans February 6, 2012, 12:42 pm

apparently it is wrong in that it works just the same way when it comes to handling the mail, compressing and decompressing it both ways etc. There may be a difference in support and in getting bug fixes and the very latest software version. Otherwise it is the identical software.
        I will send you the E-mails that I exchanged with UUplus in a personal message.

• John February 6, 2012, 1:33 pm

Hi Hans,

Interesting. The only thing I can guess is that your Irdium provider is bundling the UUplus service into your monthly or per/minute charges. What do you pay per minute for Irdium time and do you pay a monthly service charge? If the price is good, perhaps we should change to your provider, since it would save us the UUplus charges.

One way or another, the guys at UUplus, must be getting paid since writing software and maintaining the UUplus server is their full time job, they can’t be doing it for free, unless they have given up eating!

• Hans February 6, 2012, 2:40 pm

Of course that’s true, but deals can be different. Since I came to buy my iridium later than you bought yours, it could be that things had changed over time.
    I just had no idea how many prepaid minutes I would need and I like simple to handle solutions, I decided to sign a postpaid contract in the spring of 2011. The contract cost me $ 22,-/month when paid for 12 month in advance (otherwise it would have been $27,-/m.), after one year I can finish the contract with a notice of one month. The minute is $1,40. All US Dollars.

If your iridium minutes are much cheaper you could well have the better deal.

Cheers

• Hans February 6, 2012, 2:53 pm

Oh, and one more thing: I could have gone with prepaid bundles and without any contract and still have the UUplus software.
      In hindsight that would have been cheaper for me, I used only 286 minutes during my 3-month-trip.
      In fact I got the impression that the onsatmail-UUplus software can be downloaded by anyone for free. A friend of mine downloaded it just to see how it works and he doesn’t even own a satphone and certainly has no iridium contract. It is a bit confusing.

• John February 6, 2012, 7:58 pm

Hi Hans,

I think I know the answer to that confusion: When you download UUPlus it is initially usable for free, so you can test and see if you like it. But after a while, I think 30 days, you get the bill.

The key issue in all of this is that the guys at UUPlus do an incredible job both in software development and support. One of those companies its just a pleasure to do business with.

• John February 6, 2012, 7:55 pm

Hi Hans,

The email you sent tells the tale. Your Irdium provider bought a bunch of UUPlus user codes and is bundling them with the Irdium minutes that they are selling you. I have not done a comparison of Irdium costs for some time, but it sounds to me like you have a really good deal, particularly when taking into account that you are getting the UUPlus service bundled in. We will definitely look at your provider when we next need Irdium minutes.
      Thanks

• Max February 8, 2012, 10:08 am

I have heard only good things about UUPlus. Which provider is bundling UUPlus with Iridium minutes ?

• Hans February 8, 2012, 3:37 pm

Well, I get billed by http://www.astconnections.com but they don’t seem to have anything to do with UUplus. I believe this because when I bought my satphone and had my contract with AST, I downloaded UUplus, which came under the name onsatmail personal, but is identical with UUplus personal. The thing is, I wasn’t asked for anything when installing the software, no contract number, nothing. I just downloaded it and use from then on. A friend of mine did the same and he didn’t have a contract, he just secured his onsatmail-e-mail adress (boatname@onsatmail.com) for future use and his use of onsatmail is not restricted or limited in time. What I want to say is that you can use onsatmail/UUplus completely independent of wether you buy any airtime or sign a contract. It apparently comes down to the same software for free .

• John February 9, 2012, 10:18 am

Hi Hans,

I got curious and wrote to John and Jeremy who own and run UUPlus. The reasons for this aberration are complex and a bit delicate and it is not my place to reveal them. John or Jeremy may, or may not, decide to post here.

One thing I can say is that this situation is very unlikely to continue for long and anyone using it, that is not using a service that is paying UUPlus, is risking having their UUPlus service cut off, possibly without warning. (That’s a guess from me, not a threat from UUPlus.)

Bottom line, John and Jeremy work incredibly hard to run a valuable service. Their support is truly incredible. I don’t think that Jeremy ever sleeps! They deserve to get paid for what they do and so I urge everyone who uses UUPlus to subscribe to their service–it’s just the right thing to do.

• Hans February 10, 2012, 6:04 am

I agree completely, maybe I shouldn’t have poked around, but once gotten curiuos …